24. Ipotesi

"This can't be true.." Carlisle whispers as no one dares to move. For the first time since the start of the unexpected meeting Marcus stands up from his throne and slowly walks closer to us.

"If the child speaks the truth we are indeed in grave danger." Whenever I hear Marcus voice I can't help but feel his emptiness and sorrow, but right now, for the first time, I see him utterly interested in this situation.

"Well, of course, she is talking absolute nonsense!" Caius glares at me once again, though it seems that there is a part inside of him that believes my words. "I, myself, made sure to exterminate those pests. With great pleasure, I killed all of them!" He says proudly and pompously.

"At what cost, Caius?" Edward clenches his fists and takes a step forward. "I have heard stories about the annihilation of the Children of the Moon, but what worried me more than those monsters was the number of lives sacrificed to achieve this goal." I close my eyes in approval of Edward's words. "You led an enormous army and there was barely anyone left after the fight. Look at us now. Do you think we stand a chance against those creatures?" Caius eyebrows knit in anger and defeat.

"They are extinct!" Caius argues back.

"No." I step up once again. "They are not." I look straight into the red orbs of Aro. "As I said before the vision is not about the future. The man in the vision.. His name is Eric. He is a werewolf." Caius scoffs at my words and angrily turns around. Sooner or later he will have to understand that it is foolish to hang onto his own lies.

"His is one of the creatures from the vision?" Emmet asks me directly and I nod politely.

"I believe so. Even though, Caius thinks that the Volturi coven eradicated every single one Child of the Moon, he is wrong. I crossed paths with one of them – Eric. It happened twenty–six years ago in the far north of Siberia. I traveled there because it was a perfect place to stay – cold, secluded, dark and silent. I have been staying there for a couple of months, hunting humans with my gift. I would choose a perfect victim, and then make him cut all of the bonds he has with his family and friends and make them believe he left them at his own free will. Time after time I would impersonate a suicide, but everything was clean and it never induced any suspicion." I glide my eyes to the ground feeling ashamed. "But soon things started to change. People began finding dead, ripped up bodies, killing places, especially in the woods. I was shocked myself, because I knew that it wasn't my fault. Then, a few days before the full moon, Eric followed me up the mountains and confronted me. He knew who I was and he upright told me who he was. He wasn't proud or threatening. He simply said that this place was too small for both of us. And warned me to leave before the full moon, or he would have killed me." I hear a growl rip out of Alec's throat as his hands clench tightly into fists, but I continue. "At first I didn't believe him, but when I tried to use my power and it didn't work on him I knew he was telling the truth. So I fled, because I have heard a lot of stories of his kind and I realized that I have no chance against him."

"Could this mean that he is not alone?" Carlisle looks at me straight into my eyes.

"Well, usually werewolves travel alone. They never form packs simply because they don't want to. Werewolves attack each other. They don't feel pride in their kin, so they try to find a remote place where they wouldn't cause any trouble. They only turn on full moon and when they are in this creature's form they can't think, feel and don't remember anything from their human lives. They become unstoppable, deranged and hungry for blood. The smell of a human attracts them and a smell of a vampire aggravates them." I try to remember everything I know, everything I read about the Children of the Moon after a meeting with one.

"But the vision showed an army of those things.." Alice trails off.

"The vision itself is just a very well made short movie. I think someone created it and put it in your head so it would look like the future. It was meant to scare us, make us feel imminent death approaching. That someone took some memories from Eric and other werewolves and created what we just witnessed." I turn to look hopefully at Aro. "Do you know anyone who might have this kind of gift?"

"No. Not that I've heard of.." he says monotonically, but seems to be deep in thought. "But what do you mean, Serena? Werewolves don't have any extraordinary gifts like us."

"I am not talking about werewolves." My words seem to bring another wave of shock into the hall. I let the thought sink in before I say the words. "I believe that the person that stands behind all of this.. is a vampire."