17. Ospitale

My voice echoes off of the white marble pillars which surround the hall. The surprised eyes of the Volturi coven absorb my presence till Aro regains his composure and claps his hands together loudly. The same all too familiar dark, loud, grisly laughter hurts my ears as the leader climbs down from his throne slowly. His laughter dies down and he stops in front of me.

“What a magnificent surprise! Such a lovely guest we have here in our humble home!” Aro shrieks too happily and I see a strange feeling cross his eyes.

“I believe the boy has found his mate..” Marcus forces his voice to escape his lips and it seems that every second is like agony to him.

All of the vampires in the room stare at him with surprise and shock. Marcus eyes me and Alec with a bored expression and a thought clicks in my head as I realize that he is the one who can sense bonds between people. On the other hand, his brother, Aro keeps a too sweet and slightly scary smile on his face.

“Oh! That is wonderful news! Simply marvelous!” He laughs again and claps happily. I notice Caius stand up from his throne.

“It definitely is, brother.” A sadistic yet charming smile breaks onto the young leader’s pale face. “Such a powerful and breathtaking addition to the coven.” He nods at Aro. I breathe in a cold whiff of air and ruin their lovely celebration.

“Sadly, I have to inform you that I am not an addition to the Volturi coven.” My angelic voice rings through the huge ancient room and slowly brushes the smiles of their faces. “It is just a visit. I am yet to make my decision.” I look at Aro’s confused and slightly angry expression which suddenly changes into the same creepy one as before.

“Well, as disappointing as it is.. You are more than welcome to stay here. You are a guest and we certainly want to be.. hospitable hosts.” He turns to Caius, who nods and smirks my way. Then without taking his eyes off of mine, Aro turns his head a little towards his guards. “Demetri, please be a gentleman and show this lovely lady her temporary residence.”

The vampire smiles slyly and steps forward with his hands behind his back. He eyes me with strong infatuation and an image from the vision of his hands wrapped around me flash in my memory. Alec steps in front of me protectively and growls lowly. I grab his hand trying to reason with him. He looks at me confused but gives in as he notices my warning look. In a matter of seconds, Demetri approaches us and joins his leader on the right.

“I would be more than happy to show our guest around.” His thick Italian accent is clear in his voice. His eyes meet mine and a charming small smile plays on his lips.

“Wonderful! In the meantime, me and Alec have a lot to talk about, now don’t we?” Aro looks at me for the last time and brings his all attention to the lovely boy. Alec nods respectively and after I squeeze his hand reassuringly he steps away from me. On the other hand, Demetri steps closer.

“Shall we?” He gestures towards the main door and bows slightly.

“Yes, of course.” I try to sound polite and nice. “Thank you for your hospitality.” I nod towards the leaders and turn around, but Aro’s voice stops me and I am forced to face him once again.

“Think nothing of it, my child. It is our pleasure.” He smiles at me and clasps his hands together in front of his chest.

“But we hope you will make the right decision.” Caius says politely yet precariously and returns to his thrown.

“In time, we will see.” I return the same tone of voice as we share a stern look.

I nod once again and turn around to find myself looking at the smiling Demetri. He waits for me to join him and both of us walk towards the main entrance. He walks in front and opens the huge doors for me. I share one last loving glance with Alec and disappear into the shadows of the mysterious passageway.