13. Visione

The warmness of the flame floods my mind and, instead of ceasing, it engulfs my whole body. For a split second I start to panic as the blood hot tongues swirl all around me, but regain my composure as the heat stops completely. My vision blurs into a pearl white color as I start to feel my surroundings.

I let out an unnecessary breath that I have been holding in my lungs for a long time. I feel cold sensation bellow my knees and realize that I am kneeling in the light snow. My limbs start to regain their consciousness and my muscles tense as I find myself in a strong yet gentle embrace.

Cold and protective arms hug my frozen body and help me keep my balance. I blink a few times and my vision comes back completely. I look up trying to see who is holding me. My eyes widen and the air fills my lungs again. My burgundy eyes meet the mild honey ones of a golden haired vampire.

“Are you all right, Selena?” a warm familiar whisper fills my ears.

Carlisle.

Without thinking I gently grab his hand in mine and look behind him. I genuine smile breaks upon my lips. Everyone’s here. Kate, Eleazar, Carmen, Garret, Esme and the packs. I notice a small girl still sitting on a giant wolf as she smiles at me. I whip my head around and find all of the Volturi alliance standing quite far away from us. Every single one of them is here.

He is alive.

Our eyes meet as his gaze betrays concern and jealousness.

It feels like my stone heart flips as a feeling of serenity overflows. Even though he is far away, even though I have never spoken to him, I finally understand what kind of tremendous impact his death would have on me. I realize that I would lose my mind; I wouldn’t want to exist without him. He is the rope that ties me and holds me close to my life.

He is the reason I want to live.

I take my eyes away from his endless gaze and clumsily stand up. Instantly I wrap my arms around Carlisle to make sure that it is not a dream. He returns my embrace even though he looks surprised.

“Yes, Carlisle. Now.. Everything is just.. perfect.” I sigh. Edward smiles at me and nods his head understandably. I furrow my eyebrows and the truth finally hits me as I hear the soft voice of Alice.

“Now you know.. That is your future.” She roughly takes her hand back and looks intensively at Aro.

A vision. That is what it was. Only a vision. There was no battle. No war. No deaths and no victory. It never happened. But it would have if the Volturi did actually attack. A smug smile splits on my face as I understand that only Edward, Alice and Aro saw this vision. And I experienced it because of my mental power. I was able to invade Alice’s subliminal where it all took place.

Aro’s red orbs jump from me to Bella then back to Alice. This is it. His courage and pride has crumbled. He is no longer sure of his decision to start a battle at any cost. Alice glares at Aro once again.

“Unless you decide on another course.” She smirks tauntingly as Caius interrupts their discussion.

“We cannot alter our course, the child still poses a grave threat. “ He hisses through his teeth.

”But if you were sure she could remain concealed from the human world? Could we leave in peace?” Edward’s voice echoes through the field. Caius looks at him taken aback.

“Of course, but that cannot be known.”

“Actually, it can.” Edward smiles and turns to look at the woods. Couple of vampires emerge out of the darkness and approaches us. They pass us and I pick up another heartbeat. I nod at Alice as she smirks sweetly waiting for the interesting travelers to reach them.

“I've been searching for witnesses of my own, among the Tekona tribes of Brazil.” Alice pipes happily.

“We have enough witnesses...” Caius glares.

“Let him speak, brother.” Aro turns to look at Caius with fearful eyes.

“I am half human, half vampire, like the child. A vampire seduced my mother, who died giving birth to me. My aunt Huilen raised me as her own. I made her immortal.” The boy speaks in a very calm and soothing voice.

“How old are you?” Bella steps forward and looks hopefully at the boy.

”A hundred and fifty years.” The young mother turns to her husband and smiles relieved. Renesmee will be with them for a long time.

“At what age did you reach maturity?” Aro asks him no longer sensing any danger, but gazing at the boy with a slight interest.

“I became full grown seven years after my birth. I've not changed since then.” The native boy smiles at his aunt.

“And your diet?” Aro asks again.

“Blood, human food. I can survive on either.”

“These children are much like us.” Marcus sighs deeply.

“Regardless, the Cullens have been consorting with werewolves, our natural enemies.” Caius still tries to start a battle, clinging onto anything he can get a hold off. Aro turns to his brother and shakes his head while his eyes betray fear and defeat. Caius reads his face and steps back. Then the Volturi leader turns towards his army and says the words we all have been waiting to hear.

“Dear ones, there is no danger here. We will not fight today.” Some of the vampires look disappointed. Especially Caius and Jane. If only they knew what would have happened. Aro won’t tell them. He will never tell anyone what kind of battle would have occurred here. It would draw a huge disgrace upon their coven.

I smirk at his words and smile at Carlisle who still keeps his hands around me. The Volturi eyes us with a loathed look and turn around towards the forest defeated. Like a wind they reach the end of the meadow in a matter of seconds. Aro turns around and looks at me and Bella.

“Such a prize.” He whispers and follows his coven. My eyes meet the lovely wistful burgundy eyes of the handsome Alec as his strong stature disappears into the dark of the forest taking my heart with him.