3

Kristen was in awe at the way Robert's basement looked. He hadn't been joking when he had told her he had set it up as a real recording studio. From the collection of musical instruments to the equipment.

Robert quickly took a seat on the piano bench and encouraged Kristen to come closer, "Now, we have to begin with some vocal warm-ups," he spoke. He had already done his earlier, but he had to help Kristen with hers.

Kristen nodded, agreeing with him, and followed his instructions. Robert, who had embodied the role of all of his singing teachers from his earlier years, encouraged her to sing louder, to focus on her breathing, to open her mouth wider - the same old she had heard years ago during her singing training for a movie role.

"Good work!", he praised her when the exercises were over. He then took a sip of his water bottle, her doing the same. Now, they were ready to practise. Before even thinking about recording, both of them had to work hard. Besides, there were elements that they hadn't discussed yet, one of which was a musical arrangement for the cover.

Taking their seats, keeping a distance between them, they both remembered the times they would sing together - either karaoke either with their guitars. For this cover, Robert wanted to play the piano and for Kristen to play the guitar. He thought that it would sound better that way. Besides, using a sing-back track wasn't going to help them showcase what they were truly capable of.

Kristen let a deep sigh, before turning to Robert, "I'm ready."

He nodded at her, smiling and took off his mask to sing.

Now she was the one to be mesmerized. His eyes seemed even bluer than she remembered them to be. And his jawline was so sharp, it could cut lemons. His facial hair made him look even more mature and handsome. He truly looked like a grown man, ready to take on the world and to have his own family.

Unexpectedly, Kristen felt flustered. She wished she hadn't taken her mask off yet. At least the piece of fabric could cover her blushing cheeks. She was hoping that Robert hadn't noticed, or if he had - that he would say nothing about them.

She gulped and plastered a smile on her face, feeling prepared for the rehearsal to begin.