6

The next day was a rehearsal yet again. And it was going to be the same way until the project was done. Robert wanted everything to be the way he imagined it to be.

He spent all of his spare time the following day in looking at the albums full of old photos of Kristen and himself until his phone rang. It was a message from Kristen to tell him she had just left her house. And that was when he looked at the time on his phone. It was early afternoon. In no time, Kristen would park the car in front of his house.

Robert could feel his heart racing in his chest. But it was no time to panic. Kristen would be over soon.

He skipped down the stairs, hurrying to the bathroom where he ran cold water over his hands and splashed his face rapidly, trying to collect himself before the bell rang and the show began.

As a gentleman, he opened the door on the first ring and let her inside. This time, however, neither said anything to the other until it was time for warm-up exercises. Unlike the previous day, they were too tense to even make a small talk.

Both of them hated the awkwardness that had developed between them. But they could do very little about it. Both of them suddenly wished they could just finish the project and never have to speak to each other ever again. Alas, they knew that it was impossible. They had too many mutual friends, colleagues and acquaintances. The world they lived in was too small.

"I'm so sorry," Robert blurted at the end of the rehearsal. He had tried to bottle his emotions but in vain. He was a poor liar, in spite of being an actor.

Feeling perplexed, Kristen raised her eyebrows, letting a chuckle, which wasn't helping Robert, "There's nothing to apologize for."

"Nonsense!", he was a bit too sharp, "I treated you like a piece of garbage today."

"You didn't," she quickly disagreed, "You must have too much on your mind. You should take a break."

Robert pondered over her words for the remainder of the day. Perhaps she was right. Maybe that was all he needed.