10

It was raining like cats and dogs, but even that couldn't stop love.

Kristen was driving through the pouring rain, risking her life. She had no other choice. If she told Robert how she felt over the phone, then her confession would seem nowhere near as genuine.

Whether or not he felt the same for her, she still believed he deserved to know. She couldn't lie to him. They had known each other for ages, and it would break his heart if she lied to him.

And if he felt the same, would they kiss in the rain?

She could barely wait to park her car before she jumped straight out of it and rushed to ring the doorbell. She kept on ringing until finally, Robert came out, wearing a bathrobe and fluffy slippers. Now Kristen felt awkward. She bit the inside of her reddening cheek.

Robert was about to invite her inside, seeing how cold it was and how the rain was pouring, but before he could do that, she was already speaking:

"I can't lie to you and I can't pretend any longer," she began, "I'm in love with you."

Before Robert could open his mouth, she interrupted whatever he had to say, rambling on how she knew it was wrong to have feelings for him, especially since she had publicly announced that she wanted to marry Dylan.

If they were in a movie, Robert would have grabbed her by the waist and would have pulled her closer to himself in the most passionate kiss that would outshine all of the ones they had shared over the years.

Alas, they were in real life, where rain was pouring over their heads instead and paparazzi were hiding behind every bush.

"Come on," he wrapped his arm around her, leading her inside, "I'll help you dry your clothes."

"Why didn't you kiss me?", she muttered instead, "I wanted to be kissed in the rain."

Robert said nothing, he preferred to take Kristen to the bathroom and then to go back to his bedroom to find dry clothes which she could change into. Her question about a kiss under the rain had startled him. She wasn't joking. But then again, Kristen Stewart wasn't the jokester type. She was always serious. Whatever she said or did - she meant it. That was one thing he loved, yet hated about her.

He left clothes in the bathroom and went downstairs to prepare tea. While boiling the water, he thought how he felt the same way towards her and how much he could agree with her. He was in a relationship as well, but it didn't seem that it was going to work out. His girlfriend had other plans and aspirations. He had to have known that before committing himself to her.

Kristen's confession had given him the shot in the arm he had needed to finally pick up the phone and end things with Suki. He knew it was incredibly rude to break up with her over the phone, but he couldn't travel to her because of the pandemic. As soon as the tea was ready, he made one of the most important calls of his life. Now that he knew that Kristen had feelings for him, he couldn't live in a lie either. His feelings for her had returned too. Perhaps choosing her for the project had been a sign that they were meant to give each other a well-deserved third chance? Three was a lucky number, wasn't it? Besides, they had grown up, they had matured and if they began dating, it would be somehow easier.

When Kristen descended downstairs to the kitchen, wearing his old hoodie, Robert still thought she was the most beautiful woman he had ever had the luck to meet in his life. He had an answer to all of her ramblings, as he approached her to hug her tenderly:

"I promise someday I'll kiss you in the rain."

For now, however, he would kiss her inside.