4

The journey back home took Kristen longer than normal. She had to stop every once in a while, as she felt too distracted to drive. All she could think about was how she was taking part in Robert's project - she was about to sing with him. She hadn't done that in years. Even when they hung out with their old friends, she would always feel too shy to perform in a duet with him in front of people.

The thoughts of the project (and mostly Robert) kept on distracting her until she reached her house. And after she came in and washed her hands, she entered the living room where she saw a view that would have normally warmed her heart. Dylan had laid on the sofa, snuggled with one of Kristen's dogs.

The actress placed a blanket on top of her girlfriend. But unlike other times, she didn't do it genuinely, as much as she was convincing herself. Instead, she did it almost robotically, as if she had to instead of wanting to.

With that, she quietly left the room, tucking some hair behind her shoulder from nerves, and hurried to her private study to work on scripts.

But even while trying to throw herself into work, she struggled to focus, the same way she had earlier on the ride home. All she could think of was the cover. And not just that. Robert's voice was stuck in her mind. Robert's face. Robert's eyes.

Robert. Robert. Robert.

All she could think of was him and she hated that. He was her ex-boyfriend, after all! There was no chance that they would ever get back together even if one developed feelings for the other again. Both of them had moved on, or so it seemed.

The lack of focus was getting to Kristen's nerves so much, she resisted the urge to slam her fist on her desk. Instead, she cupped her mouth with her hands and focused on taking deep breaths to calm herself down. Even tricks from her youth that would soothe her could not anymore. And not only because she was a grown woman.

"What is wrong today?", she mumbled under her breath, digging her fingers in her hair.