eight

—

we pull up to the corner from my house. "are you sure you don't wanna see everyone?"

"nah, man, i'm not up for it" he says swinging his hand around as he talks.

"well, i'm gonna tell them you said hello" i say as i get out of the car.

"yeah, whatever man" he says and drives off. i shake my head and walk to my house, kicking the broken concrete on the sidewalk.

i walk in the door, trying my best not to cause a scene. unfortunately, it doesn't go as i wish.

"where the hell have you been?!" darry yells, standing up out of his chair quickly.

"hey anna, what happened?" soda asks as he sits on the couch.

"i was with dallas" i say quietly.

this only angers darry more. "look at yourself! if the fuzz had found out about the trouble you're getting into, youd be thrown into a girls home so quick it would make your head spin" he shouts with a finger in my face.

i forcefully push his finger away. "i wasn't getting into any trouble!" i yell back. "hell, darrel, i got jumped!"

darry slaps his hand on his head then crosses his arms "damnit, annalise. these are the type of things that happen when you hang around dallas!"

"he saved me, darrel! i could be dead right now if dallas hadnt been there! no wonder he doesn't want to be around you guys" i say, shoulder checking him as i walk to my room.

after a few minutes, someone softly knocks on my door.

"it's soda," he says, opening it slowly.

"what happened? how's dal?" he asks as he sits on my bed with me.

"i got jumped by randy while i was at the park. don't tell anyone this, specially darry, but dal and i are gonna be hanging out for a bit-"

"anna, you gotta be careful around him" he inputs.

"i know. he's just in a really bad spot and i wanna help him get out of it..he was in his room for days after he got out of the hospital. i finally got him out and we went to the park and painted. it was quite fun, actually. until randy and ryan jumped me."

"why not bring him around?" he asks confused.

"cause he says he doesn't wanna see anyone; which i know just means he doesn't have the mental energy to do so quite yet."