sixteen

—

i sit on the sidewalk, elbows propped on my knees as my head rests in my hands.

i'm exhausted. i just want to sleep.

finally, after an hour of waiting, devin gets here. his ride here was shorter than ours since there's really no traffic at this time of night.

i look up at him with my tired eyes, trying my best to form a smile.

he gets out of the car and helps me up, he then walks over with me to the passenger side and opens the door for me.

he walks back around and gets back in. he looks at me for a moment, worried.

he sighs when i don't say anything. "so i was right, he is a douche?" he says as he starts the car again.

"yeah" i answer bluntly.

i hadn't really told devin anything. i just said that dallas left me at the beach and that i need him to pick me up, though it was obvious i was crying.

we drive off in silence. it's around 2am now, i try my best not to fall asleep.

he plays slow classical music, it's calming. "you want to go home?" he asks.

i shake my head "not tonight" i whisper.

he nods, and we drive to his place.

i wake to myself being carried inside his house. quite embarrassing, but i'm much too tired to stop him.

he struggles to open the front door, but he gets it within a moment.

he walks through his living room, and into his bedroom. he sets me down on his bed gently, and pulls the covers over me.

i flutter open my eyes, letting him know i am now awake, even though i has been since he picked me up.

i look around, his room is quite cozy. his bed set is black and red checkered, wood floors and white walls, black book shelves filled with different books and then a desk, for school work i would assume.

"thank you" i say. i know he was sleeping before he had picked me up, so i feel quite bad.

he sits on the edge of the bed. "do you want to talk about it? or wait til morning?"

"morning" i reply. he hums in response then walks off, about to shut the door, but i stop him.

"where are you sleeping?" i ask.

"couch," he replies.

"no, no, sleep here with me" i say, patting the bed. he hesitantly walks over, being gentle as he lies next to me as if i'm fragile.

i roll on my side, facing him. he stays on his back. i cuddle into him, resting my head on his chest. i feel him tense up a bit, but he relaxes quickly and then puts his arm around me.