twenty-nine

—

"are you alright? they didn't get ya too bad, did they?" i ask, leaning down and cupping his face in my hand.

he pulls away embarrassed, not wanting me to baby him. he gets up and dusts himself off. "i'm fine."

"come on, pony-"

"i said i'm fine!" he shouts, shoulder checking me as he walks past. i cross my arms and watch as he walks away, wondering what his problem is.

dallas walks over, snaking his arm around my waist. "don't mind the kid," he says, leaning down and kissing my forehead.

"what's his deal?" i ask, looking up at dallas. he shrugs his shoulders. i scan dals face, seeing his bloody nose and fresh cut lip.

i sigh "lets get in the car and find pony then get home and clean the two of you up, yeah?"

he chuckles "sure thing."

"what's so funny?" i ask as we walk back to his car, getting in.

he shuts his door then starts the car "you're just like your mom, man" he says, laughing again.

i scoff and slap his chest playfully "what's that supposed to mean?"

"i mean, you're just a helper, like she was. that's what i loved about her. she always put others first, made sure everyone else was alright" he says as we drive down the dirt road.

dallas always got along real well with my mom. i wonder how much he misses her.

i smile and turn my head to the side, looking out of my window. i spot ponyboy sitting on the curb. "here, pull over."

i get out and walk over, taking a seat next to him. dallas watches from inside the car, smoking a cigarette.

"what's up?"

he looks up at me with sad eyes "i'm just so tired, annie."

i furrow my eyebrows out of concern, wrapping my arm around him, pulling him closer "do you wanna talk about it?"

"i couldn't stop thinkin bout johnny, you know? the night he died, before darry had hit me, he told me bout how he wishes he could go somewhere with normal people. somewhere greasers and socs don't exist."

his eyes start brimming with tears, and he sniffles "i miss him so much, i'm so sick of losin people."

i begin tearing up too, and i pull him in for a hug. he begins crying in my shoulder. i pat and rub his back, shushing him, trying to give comfort.