twelve

—SATURDAY

SATURDAY

i wake up surrounded in my warm blankets, hair all over my face.

i sigh and sit up, tossing the covers off of me. once my feet land on the cold ground, i groan as i stretch.

i think about getting dressed and making my bed, but decide to do it later.

i open my door and walk out to the kitchen to see what darry has made for breakfast.

"morning, anna banana" soda says as he takes a seat at the dining table.

i smile at him, moving my hair out of my eyes "mornin" i say to my other brothers as well.

i see that darry has made french toast and bacon. i go and sit myself at the table with soda and pony.

pony's busy reading his book, seems to be nearly done.

"i'm gonna go back and return my book today," he says as he averts his gaze from it, looking at me.

i shrug my shoulders "alright, i haven't really been reading mine so you might as well return it while you're there" i say, grabbing a napkin from the napkin-holder in the middle of the table.

"you don't wanna come along?" he asks.

"nah, i don't really feel like it today, sorry kid"

darry comes out with the plates of food, setting them on the table. he then takes a seat and we begin to eat.

before i can finish, the phone rings. i get up from my seat and answer it.

"hello?"

"hey, is this annalise curtis?" a boy asks from across the line.

"uh— yes," i say awkwardly, leaning against the wall.

"great, it's devin, from the bar last night" he says. right..i had forgotten about that.

"anyway," he clears his throat "i was wondering if i could take you out tonight?"

i raise my eyebrows in surprise "like..a date?" i whisper, turning my back to the boys.

he laughs "yeah, a date."

i smile widely "yes, absolutely. what time?" i ask as i think about him, wondering what he will look like in normal lighting.