ten

—

we walk into buck's, we were both quite excited to get some alcohol in us. he didn't say anything, but i think dallas may be a little nervous about seeing the boys after not being around so long.

like, as if he doesn't want them to think he's weak because he got so down after johnny died.

we sat at the bar and buck passed down drinks. dallas and i talked about whatever there was to talk about.

"i bet," he says "you won't guy as that guy for a dance" pointing to a kid in the crowd, who had long blonde floppy hair that stopped just below his ears, covering his eyes.

"yeah? watch me" i laugh as i get up, struggling to walk in a straight line.

the kid was wearing a black sweater with black baggy jeans. i watched his hands as he talked to his friend, 3 rings on each.

pointer finger, middle finger and the pinky.

i tap his shoulder, interrupting his conversation. he turns to me, puts his hand through his hair so that he can see me better.

even in the red light, you can tell how bright his blue eyes are. he smiles at me.

"what can i do for you?" he asks.

i smile widely, and take a quick look at dallas who's watching with a smirk.

i look back at the kid. "would you like to dance?" i ask.

he raises his eyebrows and sticks his tongue in the side of his mouth, surprised.

"sure, why not" he says and smiles at his friend, taking my hand and walking to a more open space.

a slower song starts playing. i assume that dallas had asked to change it.

the boy and i talk as we dance. "what's your name?" he asks.

"annalise" i reply. unable to hear, he leans down. "annalise curtis" i reply again, a bit louder.

"ahh, i see. i believe i know your brother" he says. "i'm devin."

"you do? which one?"

"oh, well, i wasnt aware you had more, but, the one at the gas station, the real looker" he says with a chuckle.

i smile "yeah, that's sodapop! he's great."

"sodapop?" devin laughs "interesting name."