Part 17: Christmas Eve

He slept the whole next day.
He was exhausted, frustrated and more or less back to being depressed. Hermione would quietly go in and check on him and it worried her that he was sleeping so much- but her mother kept reminding her that sleep is the best way to heal the body- which is what Draco needed the most.

So all the twenty third, she sat around checking on him and avoiding thinking about Ron.

She knew the conversation with Draco was less about her and Ron and more about herself and him."

She knew she hurt him from getting so close and accidentally breaking his heart repeatedly- but is she to do?

Break up with Ron and hope that Draco actually has feelings for her- only for there to be the possibility that he doesn't. She's smart by many kilometers, but not when it comes to romance and feelings and boys.

Especially boys who seem to like her but are indifferent in one way or the other.

As well as boy who can't tell her out right that they have serious feelings for her.

Christmas Eve came all to soon and with it a slew of questions.

"Did you think about what you wanted to get Draco for Christmas?" Her mother asks as she and her Aunt braid the girl's hair.

"Should I get him something?" She asks honestly- unsure as to if it would be classified as inappropriate since she is technically still with Ron.

"Well I'm not forcing you too, but he's been nothing but a kind and caring gentleman." Lydia, in the back of her mind, is rooting for Draco. He's the underdog that no one suspects could get the win. She admires how he is polite and considerate, and yet just a tad bit mischievous. One would assume the mother, who's daughter was horribly bullied and tortured by him and his family, wouldn't want to see her daughter fancying him, but seeing how he's been with her and seeing the way her daughter stares at him when she thinks no one is looking: just gives her hope that her daughter could be happy and treated the way she's supposed to be.

"Maybe I should go out and get him something...but what?"

"Maybe something warm and cozy- like a sweater or..." Her Aunt begins and Lydia taps her.

"Shh...don't suggest that. I got him one." Looking at her mother, Hermione is surprised by that comment.

"You got him something?" Hermione asks- very surprised by this.

"Of course. He's going to be with us for Christmas. It would be rude not to get him anything."

"Can...can I see it?" She wanted to make sure it wouldn't embarrass him or make him feel awkward.

You never know with Draco- that is.

Getting up, Lydia goes in the other room and brings out an unwrapped box and hands it to her daughter. Pulling open the box lid, she removes the tissue paper and underneath is a beautiful emerald sweater made of lamb's wool. An expensive sweater at best and beautifully made. Feeling it in her hands- it's probably the softest sweater she ever handled.

"Do you think he'll like it."

"Most definitely. I just wish I had an idea of what to get him."

"Something will come to you, but you better hurry- it's already Christmas Eve and the shops won't be open tomorrow."

"Well I don't want to just get him last minute rubbish." What does one get someone who could have everything at the drop of a Knut?

"Make it thoughtful." Aunt Evelyn states and literally the three girls, Hermione, and Lydia all turn and look at her as if that was the dumbest thing she could have said. "What? If it ain't meaningful then it's not a good gift."