CHAPTER IX

The Great Hall was so silent it was deafening

The Great Hall was so silent it was deafening. All Houses. What would happen next, that was all Celeste could think about.

"What would you suggest we do?" Dumbledore asked the hat.

"I haven't got a clue, it's never happened before, every can always be sorted."

As people argued, El sat on the stool with her mouth agape. All she could hear was arguing and loud voices.

"Enough."

It was a quiet voice that ring through the Hall, yet it was clear and strong.

"I will simply go into all four houses. I can choose where I stay and where is sit, and a can have lessons with all the different houses." El said.

The Headmaster seemed to ponder the thought and smiled as he said, "I think that would be best."

El finally got off the chair and walked towards the Slytherin table with a smile. She sat beside a blonde girl called Daphne Greengrass and they spent the rest of the feast talking and laughing.

All was calm until the speeches began.

"Well now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I will take the time to for a few start of term notices. First years ought to know that the Forbidden Forrest is out of bands as the older years know too. We have had two changes in staff this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking care of our Care of Magical Creatures class. We are also pleased to introduce Professor Umbridge as our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

A polite yet weak applause sounded through Hall as Dumbledore continued, "Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the-"

The Headmaster however broke off as he looked to the pink witch beside him, waiting for him to move.

"Thank you Headmaster for those kind words of welcome."

Her voice was so high pitched, El wanted to plug them so her ears didn't bleed out.

"Well it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts I must say, and see all your smiley faces looking up at me." As El looked around the hall, nobody was smiling.

"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all and I'm sure we will all become very good friends. The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The rare gifts of which you are born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to the Wizarding community must be passed down the generations lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching."

El tried to tune out the rest of the woman's god awful speech and only heard the last lines until Dumbledore took over.

"Practices that ought to be prohibited."

El then knew exactly what Fudge and Umbridge were doing. The Ministry were interfering at Hogwarts.