Chapter Four

They got to the motel at 1, and quickly went to bed.

John and Mary shared a room, while Cas, Sam, and Dean shared another.

"They don't have rooms with three beds." John argued.

"Cas doesn't sleep." Dean reminded his father while packing up guns.

"Hm. Forgot."

They got up in the late morning. Cas had done research while everyone was asleep- he found out that there were two possible leads. One was to another motel on the other side of town, the other was a small abandoned cottage in the woods.

Dean, John and Cas decided to group up. They took the house while Mary and Sam took the motel room.

Dean drove his baby, John sat shotgun and Cas sat in the back. Cas made sure to be as silent as he could. The angel noticed John liked to control the things around him, so talking wasn't going to help them get along.

"How long of a ride is this?" John asked Dean.

"About 20 minutes." Dean replied.

They played Led Zeppelin with the windows rolled down. John seemed to be in a good mood, hunting probably cheered him up.

"So.. Cas.." John started while turning down the music.

"Yes?" Cas replied. Dean looked scared, John wasn't very nice to the angel.

"Why can't you just.. zap the monsters away?" John felt a bit awkward asking this question.

"I can't track the monsters on my powers alone. When I rebelled, some of my powers were lost. Most of an angels power is in numbers, and my grace isn't the same as it once was. I've had other angels influence it." Cas was stern and informative.

John nodded. "Influence?"

"When me and Dean got locked in purgatory, my head was re-coded to do the angels bidding and spy on your sons. I've also had my grace stolen....I'm better now."

Dean winced as soon as Cas said this. John was definitely going to take it the wrong way.

"So what I'm hearing is you're weak and untrustworthy. Dean, what the fuck? He spied on you?" John was getting angry.

"It's a long story dad. Won't happen again. The angels stuck a bunch of stuff in his head. Cas is the most trustworthy guy we have." Dean turned onto the dirt road the house was on. "We're here. What's our game plan?"

John sighed. He wanted to continue this conversation, but Dean wasn't having it.

He immediately took charge of the situation. "I'll take it from the front. Dean, you'll go through the back. Cas... uh, stay in front in case any run out."

Cas didn't argue. Dean shrugged and got out of the car.

Dean and John both grabbed machetes. "Why doesn't Cas need one?" John asked. "There are some pro's to being an angel." Dean responded.

They did John's plan. Dean creeped into the back door. He walked slowly through the kitchen, then spotted six vamps on the couch.

There was blood bags on the floor that let out a potent smell. The first two were on a love seat. They were obviously a couple, the girl had long blonde hair that reminded Dean of Jess. The male had dark hair and skin. He had claw marks all over his face.

The other four sat on the couch. Two girls in their twenties, an older man and kid. The kid looked about 7. He was wearing a jersey and was obviously new to the pack. The old brown couch they sat on had patches of plaid the boy played with.

Dean immediately felt bad for the kid. He decided then and there he would try to save him, but he needed to get to his dad to let him know. He spotted his dad on the other side of the room staring at him, when one of the vampires spoke up. "Y'all smell that? I think we have hunters." 

Dean's stomach dropped. It was go time.