190

a/n here it is!! the cliffhanger will finally be solved, i hope you enjoy this long chapter! don't forget to comment your thoughts/reactions, and vote!!! well, without further ado, chapter 190!!

cordelia sage blythe had come into the world almost unscathed besides being a few weeks premature and needing a little extra lung support in the NICU.

her mother however, had scarcely made it through the surgery, with her heart nearly stopping three times while under the anesthesia.

the doctors weren't sure she'd get better.

it was a bad case of sepsis along with (as gilbert predicted) amniotic fluid embolism, which did not fair well together. actually, the doctors had never seen a case like this before - much less a surviving case - and were unsure of how to proceed.

she was hurriedly taken from the operating room into her room in the ICU where they met a very anxious group of adults walking around restlessly.

dr. james orwal, anne's main surgeon, was in a calm panic as he thought about what needed to happen next. this was one of his good friend's wife, and he knew how much gilbert cared for her. he always tried to keep emotions and personal connections as far away from his job as possible but now, having to force his good friend out of his dying wife's room was very difficult.

gilbert was frantic and begging for any kind of information, which he could not give him.

"james!" he called from over the nurse who was restraining him from the room, "james, please i- please" seeing gilbert so desperate hurt, and so he turned to the doctors awaiting his orders.

"i need to speak to someone. get her on oxygen now, and give her very light fluids, excess fluid may overdistend the right ventricle and increase the risk of a right sided myocardial infarction. i'll be back." he swiftly exited the room, making sure to shut the door tightly behind him before gilbert could see anything through.

"hello, dr. blythe. i am here to inform you that your wife-"

"please cut the professional crap. you know i know better then to fall for that" gilbert interjected, exasperated that his friend was playing this "professional doctor" card on him.

"sorry," james apologized and looked down at the floor, curse my fear of confrontation, im a doctor for gods sake. "anne, she's- shes got sepsis, as well as AFE, those two don't mix well gilbert."

the hazel eyed man nodded, shook his head quickly and rubbed his eyes, "what's happening now? what about the baby? how is- is it- did it...."

"she's alright." gilbert's eyes widened hugely, "oh yes, dear me, it's a girl. a beautiful little girl, gilbert. and she's okay. they're looking over her in the NICU now, and besides being premature and needing a little breath support, she is perfect." he watched as his friends eyes glazed over while a small smile graced his lips.

"i have a little girl." he let those words sink into his very core. he had a little tiny girl, a girl he would get to watch grow and blossom into a beautiful and kind human, he was hers and she was his. he had a daughter, a precious daughter that he would take down thousands of armies single handedly for. she was okay, he would get to raise her as his and anne's. anne. anne. he shook his head out of his thoughts and stray tears fell down his cheeks.

"and anne?" james gulped, "james tell me."

"she's not doing well, gilbert. ive never seen a case escalate this quickly without warning, and i'm doing my best. that's all we can do right now."