178

thank you all for being patient, i hope you enjoy this chapter!!

trigger warning // assault

"Wow di you're really going all out, eh?" Gilbert chuckled as she sat in front of his hotel vanity, applying deep red lipstick to match her dress.

"Hey, it's not like I'm going to get the opportunity to hang out at a club ever in Avonlea.. Might as well take advantage of it." She replied starkly. Diana still hadn't heard an explanation from Gilbert and was only with him to find and help Anne.

Gilbert sensed her coolness and sat down, running his fingers through his hair.

"Listen, I can't fully explain what happened... but I need you to trust me. I don't love Winifred, never have." he sighed and put his head in his hands.

Diana glared at him through the mirror. "How do I know I can trust you?" She really wanted him to be telling the truth, so bad.

"You know how much I love and respect Anne, I could— or would—never betray her." Diana saw the sincerity in his eyes and nodded slowly.

"I expect a full explanation...when you can give it to me. I trust you, for now. Don't make me regret it." She stood up and wrapped her coat over her cocktail dress.

Gilbert let out a breath and nodded eagerly, "I promise, you won't regret it." He stood as well and grabbed his wallet and keys, "let's go find anne-girl" he mumbled to himself as he held the door open for Diana to leave.

.

They got out of their taxi to reveal a booming club, bright lights danced out from inside, lighting up the whole street in technicolor. The music was blasting so loud the words were barely audible, and people were already drunk and dancing like the pair had never seen before.

Gilbert's eyes grew wide and he sucked in a breath. Diana put her hand on his shoulder as they both faced the club.

"You need to put your 'protective husband' face away. Have fun—or at least look it— and we won't scare her away."

He took a deep breath and schooled his features to relax. "okay"

The more crazy people stumbled out the front, the more the two began to worry. "oh gosh I hope she's okay in there" Diana whispered and gilbert sighed,

"me too."

They stared at the club for a second more before mustering up the courage and walking in. The second they crossed the threshold they were met with the thick smell of cheap vodka and heavy smoke. Gilbert's worry instantly went up for Anne's condition.

Diana had previously discussed pretending to be 'together' for both of their safety, so they clutched their hands together and weaved through the crowd, straining to catch a glimpse of that red flaming hair.

They made it through to the bar and stood in front, trying to look as natural as possible while they scanned the room.

Gilbert spotted Anne from across the room, she was being tugged up the stairs to the roof by her so-called friends.

"There!" He began to sprint after her, knocking people out of his way, while Diana yelled at him to slow down from behind him.

Diana grabbed his arm and pulled him backwards, he turned around with a dark expression.

"let me go." He was trying to keep his composure, but seeing Anne so close was making him lose his mind.

"No. We can't just run after her! We have to have some sort of plan or you're going to ruin this ALL!" Diana yelled, throwing Gilbert off. He rolled his eyes and agreed.

"We have to be quick. She could get hurt!" He argued, Diana nodded and moved them to sit down while they discussed their plan of action.

When they had a basic idea of what they were going to say, they made their way up the cement stairs that lead to the roof. Gilbert's heart was pounding in his ears, like it could sense he was close to her.

They made it to the top and immediately panicked upon hearing Anne's distinct scream, sounding over and over.

Gilbert quickly tried to open the door but it had been locked. He could hear her screaming more and more and lost all composure.

"Gilbert! What do we do?!!" Diana screamed.

He frantically looked around and decided on his last resort.

He kicked the door several times until it broke off the hinge and flew forward, alerting the people on the roof.

Gilbert and Diana raced forward and searched for Anne; she was still screaming.

They ran around the corner and saw her shoved against a wall, held there by two large men and a dark woman, who were all grinning devilishly. They watched as one of the men forced a kiss on her and Gilbert had seen enough.

He bolted to the men and grabbed the first one by his coat collar, throwing him backwards. The second one was still holding Anne, and Gilbert grabbed him as well and punched him square in the jaw, sending him flying back into a wall. As for the woman, Diana ran over and tackled her, and was holding her by her hair.

Gilbert turned to Anne, to find her sobbing. She collapsed into his arms and cried, holding him tighter then she ever had before.

"i'm so sorry, i'm here." Gilbert whispered as he pulled her closer. "i'm so sorry"

She looked into his watery eyes and started crying harder at the heartbreak she felt from his betrayal. "how could you?!" She was angry, and sad, and broken-hearted, but she still wanted to be held by him after what just happened.

"It wasn't me, I swear. Winifred forced herself on me, and then posted that picture. I promise, I would never ever, ever betray you like that. Please believe me" Anne searched his eyes and found nothing but the same heartbreak that were in hers. The heartbreak of losing the person you love most, the heartbreak of someone taking advantage of you. She sobbed quietly into his chest,

"I do, I do believe you." She whispered. Tears of relief came to his eyes as he hugged her tightly. His chest felt bubbly, whether with anger towards those men or relief that she was finally safe, he didn't know.

While the two sat holding each other, Diana called the police and they took the two men and woman away to the precinct, where they would be charged for assault.

Anne and Diana hugged softly when they stood and smiled at each other, Anne mumbled her thanks into her shoulder.

Gilbert held Anne and Diana close while they made their way through the crowd to leave, he was more protective of them now then ever.

They hailed a taxi and rode to their hotel. Anne rested on Gilbert's shoulder the entire way back and Diana held Anne's hand.

When they made it back to the hotel they took the elevator to their rooms, which were conveniently placed right next to each other.

Gilbert saw Anne glance towards Diana's room and hesitate. He smiled and nodded softly, "go with her."

She softened and smiled, "Thank you Gil." She kissed him on the cheek and walked to Diana's room, but before she closed the door she turned back to him,

"Goodnight gil, I love you." please say it back.

He smiled sweetly, "I love you too, sweet dreams"

They both shut their doors and sighed softly, feeling overwhelming relief wash over them.

a/n i am SO sorry for the wait for this one😭

but i hope you liked it! <3

and thank you for 83k reads!!!!!

also: i posted the first chapter of my new book, go check it out if you haven't already:)

see you next chapter;)