154 💍

Anne hadn't gotten much sleep that night, her nerves overpowering her exhaustion.

She awoke from her fitful sleep at quarter passed five, to the sun rising softy and cascading through her muslin curtains. The soft light lit her room delicately in golden rays with the promise of a beautiful and eventful day to come.

She sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes, and the reality of what was coming hit her in a wave of excitement and bliss, mixed with fear and nervousness. She couldn't be more incandescently happy to spend the rest of her life with her Gilbert, but the insecurities of the words that had been said to her were shining through the joy. She had been told the whole of her life that she would be a terrible wife and couldn't help but worry about being the perfect wife for Gilbert. What if I truly will be a terrible wife? She knew good and well that Gilbert loves her more then life itself but some insecurities have the ability to take over logic.

Pushing the ever growing worry away, she sat up, put on her cream, fluffy robe and headed downstairs for a cup of hot coffee.

Halfway down the stairs a scrumptious scent wafted through the house and into her nose causing her stomach to grumble.

Who is up this early?? She wondered

As she continued down the stairs the mystery was revealed. She turned the corner to find Marilla nervously cooking a large breakfast. Anne recognized this behavior from whenever Marilla was nervous or upset about something, some people fold laundry, some listen to music, but Marilla always had turned to cooking her feelings away.

She paced around the kitchen, scrambling eggs, frying ham, toasting toast and grabbing various spices for flavor, occasionally knocking over a few bottles of cinnamon or pepper and huffing in frustration as she swept up the remnants on the hard wood floor.

Anne watched her from her position leaning against the door frame for a while before making her appearance known.

"Morning Mar" she smiled softly

Marilla spun around quickly, tripping over her own feet causing Anne to chuckle, entertained by her flustered mood "oh my," she breathed smoothing her apron "good morning dear!"

Anne walked over and sat the the large wooden table resting her head in her hands tiredly.

"Didn't get much sleep, I presume?" Marilla noticed

"No, my brain is going crazy" she joked

"Hm, what is it going crazy with?" The older women asked while moving to sit across from the red head.

"Well I'm nervous— but also so excited, I can't decide which I'm more of... I guess I'm also worried about how if I will ever be able to be the perfect wife and lifemate that Gil deserves" she shrugged

"I see, I'm sure you don't have to worry your mind about that for one more second." She stated "being the 'perfect wife' is impossible. Plus I'm convinced you could be the most awful wife and that Blythe boy would still fall over his feet for you" she grinned

Anne giggled, knowing she was right, Gil would adore her no matter how good of a wife she was.

"And about your nerves, you're not having second thoughts right?" Marilla asked carefully

"Oh heavens no!!! No no no, I guess it's just such a big day it's pretty overwhelming, and nerve wracking in general. But no absolutely not. I can hardly wait until we are married! Married, can you believe it?? At the end of today I'll no longer be 'Anne Shirley-Cuthbert of Green Gables' , I'll be 'Anne Shirley-Cuthbert Blythe of..' ...well wherever we end up" she laughed "I never even imagined I would be a wife, much less a wife to someone I love so much. My heart feels like it is going to burst!! Mrs. Blythe." She sighed dreamily