120

Anne was abruptly awoken by the rather annoying sound of her alarm going off at 3:40am, initiating a loud groan from her lips as she tapped her screen vigorously, trying to end the obnoxious ringing.

There is a certain heaviness that is looming over her body as she wakes. It is very different then her normal chipper attitude, that she carries in the mornings; Gilbert is leaving today, and he won't be back for at least 6 months.

She couldn't be more proud of this apprenticeship that he has gotten, truly, but she knows just how much she will miss him, and she's not entirely sure she will be able to cope without him by her side.

Although she doesn't love to admit it, she relies on him for almost everything; encouragement, strength, love, he gives her all that. And living without that is going to be tuff, to say the least.

But nonetheless she knows she has to be completely strong in front of him, being as she practically had to force him to accept the offer, she knows any hint of doubt that she displays will make him give up everything in a heartbeat to stay with her. And she will absolutely not let herself be the reason he turns down such an incredible opportunity, and so she must hold a strong front, at least until he leaves.

Anne is supposed to drive Gilbert to the airport this morning (which is why she is up so early in the first place) so she has to get up and ready. Since she assumes she won't have to leave the car, she throws on some grey sweatpants with an over sized red hoodie, plops her hair in a soft messy bun atop her head, and hops in her car to pick him up.

As she pulls up to his house she can already spot her fiancé looking just as unenthusiastic as she felt, sitting on the porch waiting for her. She pulls in, plastering a big smile across her face.

"Morning gilly-boy!" She announced teasingly, "hop in!"

Gilbert chuckled and slid into the passengers seat before scanning her appearance. Oh gosh he loved it when she was just in baggy clothes with no makeup, she looked so undeniably adorable.

"Morning beautiful" he smiled sweetly, pecking her cheek softly.

Anne just giggled and rolled her eyes, handing him his favorite coffee she had picked up on the way to his house.

"Here, I figured you'd need the extra boost today"

He took the drink and sighed, "Thank you anne-girl" the realization that this was going to be their last interaction in person for months hit him and a frown pulled at his lips, "I'm going to miss you a lot you know." He stared longingly into her ocean eyes, wishing he could just hold her for the rest of his life.

She exhaled deeply. stay strong, don't you dare break down now, She scolded herself, feeling her sadness rise up through her body and forming a lump in her throat. "I know, I'm going to miss you so much." Another deep breath "but just think of all the incredible experiences that are just waiting for you in New York! It's so thrilling when you think of it! You will be on an exciting adventure everyday, learning and growing as a doctor! What could be better!?" She said mustering up her best mock enthusiasm voice

"Staying here with you, getting married this summer, spending all of my time listening to you talk endlessly" he sighed "that would be better" he slumped down in his seat and looked over at anne, who was trying desperately to focus on the road and not the pathetic boy next to her.

"Come on gil, I know you are at least a little excited!! This is your dream!"

"I know and I am excited!!... just not excited to not be with you" at this point he was practically pouting like a 5 year old.

"I know gil, but come onn look at you, about to go on a grand adventure and you're sulking in my car!! I mean I love you but you are acting like a little kid!" She laughed unable to contain it anymore

All he could do is roll his eyes and chuckle "you're right" he said a new determination filling his voice as he sat up straight in his seat. " I am excited, And this will be a new adventure that I'm sure I will enjoy"

She giggled and shook her head in reply. The rest of the drive was filled with comfortable silence and loving gazes.

As Anne pulled into the airport Gilbert jumped out, already a little late for his flight, and grabbed his luggage from her trunk before returning to her window.

"I love you anne-girl" he smiled, heartache
laced in his voice.

"I love you my gilly-boy" she replied through a forced brave smile

He pulled her close placing a soft kiss on her lips, letting it lingering there for a while.

As he kissed her, Anne realized just how much she is going to miss this, miss him. A single tear escaped her eyes rolling gently down her milky skin. Gilbert brought his thumb up and wiped it away leaving his hand cupping her cheek. "I'll miss you" he whispered barley auditable

"I'll miss you" she exhaled "more then you know"

He smiled sweetly placing one last kiss on her lips before whispering a sad "goodbye" and disappearing into the crowds of people.

"Goodbye" she whispered once he was already out of an ear shot and sighed, pulling away from the airport.

This is going to be harder then I thought

A/N I'm not really a big fan of this chapter... but here it is anyway 🤷🏼‍♀️😂