32

Anne's POV
~~~~

As I vigorously wrote everything I was feeling down in my journal I realized there was a lot of hurt from my past I had never addressed.

My eyes were red and hot as I sobbed while writing
tears falling all over my paper, smudging the words but it didn't matter.

I took a deep breath as I felt I had written everything I needed to

I lifted my head and reread my paper :

"Why? Why does this happen? Why can't I be okay? Why can't I feel loved? Why do people not love me? It's all my fault, if I was prettier people would love me, if I fixed my nose I would be easier to look at, if I got whiting strips my teeth would be better, if I get eyelash extensions maybe girls will think I'm beautiful. Why won't it stop. It's digging a hole in me, a hole I didn't know I had, a hole that started from when I was very young. Mr Hammond. I wasn't good enough. I could've been better. I could've avoided his rage. I could've shut my mouth. I could've not screamed. I could've stayed silent. But I didn't, of course I didn't. I imagined being a princess, in a desperate attempt to hide, hide from what I was feeling, hide from the pain that felt like a knife slicing through my lungs, taking my breath away and making it nearly impossible to breath. I can't do it anymore I just can't. I knew I couldn't push my pain down forever. I guess this is my breaking point.

Oh god if Gilbert doesn't love me I won't be able to... I can't I-"

I sobbed as I finished realizing for the first time that all of the hurt I had shoved deep down into my soul was coming to the surface.

I curled into a ball and laid on my floor. I sobbed and sobbed until I was physically unable to push anymore tears out. And then everything went black.

~~~~~~

Gilbert's POV

Anne wasn't okay. I sat in my bed unable to go to sleep. I couldn't stop thinking about what those horrid people said about Anne, she couldn't have believed them right? I'm so worried about her. I know she's strong but this seemed different, she hadn't snapped at me for at least a year. Something wasn't right. I decided to go to her house and check on her.

As I picked up my phone and got out of bed I saw the time. "Shoot" I said "it's 2:30" but no matter how late it was I was going there and nothing would stop me.

I drove to her house, lost in thought, insanely worried about Anne. She usually consumed my thoughts, but now it was different I couldn't stand that fact that these awful people could say such terrible things to her.

I arrived at her apartment, that she shared with Diana. When I went to go in, the door was locked, so I went through a near by window that was fortunately propped open.

I stumbled through the kitchen and walked into Anne's room. She was laying in a ball on the floor, I dropped to my knees and brushed her hair from her face, gently caressing her cheeks.

Her eyes were a deep red and extremely puffy. She had been crying. Seeing her like this broke me. She's hurting and I don't know how to help.

I realized she wasn't waking up when I grabbed her shoulder and shook her lightly, and then I noticed her breathing was off, it was very weak and slow. I panicked as I called 911 and explained the situation.

Third person POV

The ambulance got to Anne's apartment and found her, unconscious, being cradled on the floor by Gilbert.

As they took her into the back of the truck Gilbert ran to get Diana and they decided she should ride with Anne while Gilbert drove behind them.

Gilbert wasn't especially religious but he found himself praying on his way to the hospital begging God to spare Anne's life :

"Please God don't take her I-I I can't live in a world without her in it. I can't survive without her. Please don't take her please, take me instead! take me not her please don't take her" he prayed through his sobs .

Gilbert pulled into the hospital parking lot, near the ICU , that's where Diana had told him they were keeping Anne. He placed his hands on the wheel of his car and rested his head on them. And then slowly cried as he imagined the doctors coming to him, saying the same thing they had told him when his father passed. He couldn't bear it.

When he walked in he spotted Diana sitting on a chair in the waiting room, and he sat in the chair opposite to her.

Both of the teens had been crying for hours and were absolutely exhausted from the long night.

Gilbert softly rested his head on the wooden arm rest of the chair he laid on and let his eyes close as he drifted off into a not so deep sleep.

Diana stared at the ceiling until her eyes grew very, very heavy and finally, slowly shut.

A/N idk I know I'm not the greatest writer but I'm trying to improve ! 🤪