Dua puluh dua

Chapter 22

More than two years had passed. Everything was seemed like a blur, besides the fact of the youngsters' growth. Fumiko had been 16 for months now. She had matured, the taller replica of her mother. Battle scars had tattooed her skin, but neither her nor Neji minded that.

The said girl now was woken up by the light coming in from her thin curtain. Yawning, Fumiko sat up and leaning on the bedhead. She was still in daze when a slight movement on her right caught her attention. An arm snaked around her hip possessively as a long haired man snuggled closer to her.

"Good morning," the man mumbled.

Fumiko played with his long hair for a bit before humming a reply. "Good morning, Neji-kun."

The said man now opened his eyes and leaned up to gave her a kiss. Both of them did not mind their nakedness and smiled toward each other. Being together for two years had changed their characters and people noticed that. Neji seemed to be softer than before and Fumiko expressed herself more.

"As long as I'd love to stay here longer with you, you've got mission this morning." Neji sighed and stood up.

As the naked man starting to get ready, Fumiko watched him with adoration. Neji had matured too. He now was taller than Fumiko, even though just by a bit. His hair was longer too. His body was more toned and athletic. The almost 18 year old man had gone a bit too protective over his lover too, Fumiko noticed. He did not like when Fumiko was around men. He did not like when she was overworked. He did not like when she did not take care of herself properly. He often time had to nag at her so she would take care of herself better. Hell, he would make breakfast and lunch for her whenever he did not have any mission.

Getting downstairs after taking a bath, Fumiko was welcomed by delicious food spread on the dining table. She hummed in approval before kissed Neji on his cheek and sat down. They had breakfast in silence before Fumiko barfed.

"Are you okay, Fumiko-sama?" Neji frowned at his lover, already worried of her health.

"Of course." She nodded. "It just feels like my stomach is full of oxygen. Don't worry."

"We should check it up." Neji insisted.

"Neji-kun," Fumiko groaned. "you'll be late for your mission."

"But—"

"I'll check it up if I don't feel better. It's okay, I promise."

Neji looked troubled for a minute before sighing. He then brought Fumiko's lunch in front of her. "Alright, but contact me right away if something's about to happen."

"Alright."

After finishing up the dishes, Neji kissed Fumiko's head and went out. "I'm leaving now. I love you, Fumiko-sama."

"Hn." Fumiko hummed in response while drinking her ocha.

After Neji was gone, Fumiko sighed before body flickered to the base. As usual, Fu was already waiting for her there. Even though he was her right hand, Fu now was busy taking care of the new candidates of the ROOT. They had been taking in the victims of the war or massacre and nurtured them to think that Konoha was a good. Danzo's system where the kid had to kill their partner was no longer used. So Fu's job was to make sure the kids were strong enough for ROOT's life.

"You're early." Fu greeted her.

Fumiko shrugged before starting to work. By the noon, she left the base and body flickered to the forest outside Konoha. She was about to spy on Sasuke. Sucks, she knew. Or worse, Neji would nag the hell out of her if he found out about this. Yet, Sasuke was still her brother. Just like how she would check on him once in a while when he did not know she was still alive, she would do the same now.

Fumiko stopped on the top branch of a tree when she noticed she was not alone. The girl sighed, then landed in front of the man. She and he was in the same height, so they were staring at each other in eye level. For minutes, they just stood there, assessing each other.

Finally, the man broke the silence. "You look exactly like kaa-san."

"Why are you here, Itachi?" Fumiko sighed before leaning on the tree, she crossed her arms.

"To meet you. And to access how Sasuke has been doing."

"Hn."

"How are you, Fumiko?"

"I'm—barf—okay." Fumiko frowned while patting her chest. What the hell? She had been barfing for 20 times now.

"You sure?"

"Yeah. How's it going, Itachi?"

The man faced away. "It's... progressing."

"Oh?" Fumiko raised her eyebrow. "As in...?"

"It's been doing well, alright. When the time the... package comes around, I'll notify you."

"Hn." Fumiko hummed in satisfaction. "Don't mess it up, you only got roughly a year left."

Itachi rolled his eyes before patting his sister. "It's weird how grown you are now. I miss my little sister who'd follow Shisui around like a lost puppy."

Now, it was Fumiko's turn to roll her eyes. She suddenly felt her food coming up from her stomach and vomited. Itachi worriedly held her hair up so it would not get messed up by her vomit.

"You're not okay." Itachi scolded.

Fumiko was still vomiting and Itachi was about to scold her again when a familiar chakra came closer. Both siblings tensed before Fumiko nodded to her big brother, urging him to go. It only took a few second after Itachi disappeared when Sasuke stood in front of the woman with his sharingan on.

The boy looked like he was ready to kill, but seeing Fumiko looked exactly like their mother startled him. Especially when she looked so messy like that.

"Kaa-san..."

"No." Fumiko groaned and leaned away from the tree. She wiped her mouth with her kimono sleeve before looking down to Sasuke. A smug smile appeared on her face, letting Sasuke knew that the one in front of him was his sister and not his mother. An irk mark popped on his head.

"Fumiko." He growled.

"Heh, look at that stupid face." Fumiko dodged the katana Sasuke thrusted to her. "Oh? So you decided to attack a sick girl? Tsk, where's your manner?"