the goddess of the stars, asteria.

( Asteria Clifford,

June 2nd, 2022. )

"Everyone get to your classes!"

I rolled my eyes whilst I slipped through the people walking down the hallway, trying to get to their next boring class.

I planned to sneak out the back door of my school where no one monitors. It's notorious for helping students sneak out, and I used it often.

My converse hit the hallway tile quietly in an attempt to not alarm any teachers. Once I pushed open the door, I booked it to my undoubtedly hot car.

I was 16, so I was able to drive now. It was a nice privilege, truly.

I liked to sneak out on occasion so I wouldn't have to deal with class. It came easily because I wasn't given a lot of attention— which I didn't mind.

My brother, Apollo, was born 7 years ago and when he was 5, he was diagnosed with Leukemia a year after my mom died. My dad tends to pay more attention to him since he's so sick, and I'm not bothered by it.

I lived with my dad in Lahaina, Hawaii and have been for nearly 2 years. I lived with my dad, who is a neurosurgeon and my 3 other uncles, who are all doctors as well. 

They bought me the car I'm sitting in right now so that they wouldn't have to drive me places anymore to have more time with my brother. I see it as a wonderful excuse to get away from home.

When I started my car and drove out of the campus parking lot, I started toward the beach near the town. My sunglasses sat comfortably on my face and I sang my Taylor Swift playlist as loud as I could.

When I arrived at the beach, I changed into my swimsuit in the back of my car and put on my denim shorts. I put on my birkenstocks and put my beach bag over my shoulder.

I locked my car quickly and made my way down to the beach. I set up in a spot I would be able to see from the water and immediately rushed into the water. As the water went over my head and drenched my hair, I felt free.

I was born in Pearl City, Hawaii in 2006 and moved to Sydney, Australia near the water and my mom was a pro surfer for a lot of her life. I now lived near the beach again, and was here most of my days.

My mom and my dad met in school in 11th year and they both moved to Hawaii to grow a family. They had me, but moved back to Australia to help out my grandparents. When my brother was announced, they moved back to Hawaii and to Lahaina. I was 10.

When my brother was 5, and I was 15, my mom died due to lack of blood to her heart. She passed out in our kitchen and I never saw her again.

My uncles moved to Hawaii to help my dad out two months after my mom died and they moved us to a bigger house and we've lived there ever since. I have a couple friends and I have a job at a shaved ice place in town.

Other than those events, I live a pretty calm life.

I loved the ocean and planned to become a marine biologist in the future, but I wasn't sure if that was going to happen.

When I got out of the ocean, I walked to my towel and dried off the sand and my body and grabbed my strawberries I'd packed this morning and began reading.

However, I hadn't realized how much time had gone by until I finished the book I had just started that day. I slowly looked up and saw the sun nearly in the lower half of the sky and realized I was extremely late to be home.

I threw all of my things into my beach bag and gripped my phone and ran up to my car. People looked at me like I was crazy for rushing up to my car. I threw my bag into my passenger seat and drove home.

When I drove into my driveway, I noticed how only Ashton's car was parked. I exhaled a breath of relief and went inside with my bag on my shoulder.

"Hello?" I whispered as I entered the house and didn't see anyone. I slowly put my bag down and started to take my shoes off.

But when I stood back up and turned around quickly, I hit the chest of Ashton. I closed my eyes and backed up.

"Hello to you, Asteria."