justine rothwell.

As Casper drove, Asteria asked many questions.

"How do you know who it is?" She had asked with a soft, hoarse voice from crying. Casper only shook his head, and didn't respond.

Asteria decided not to pry into the whole situation, even though it was hers to deal with, because Casper's jaw was clenched and his knuckles were white.

While they drove, Casper kept his hand on top of Asteria's on the glovebox, making sure she was okay and rubbing his thumb across her top hand.

They pulled into a semi-nice neighborhood, rain falling onto the windshield as they pulled into an unfamiliar house. Asteria looked up and around the house.

"Where are we?" Asteria asked.

She was only responded to by Casper taking off his hoodie and saying, "Come on, love, put this on and let's go to the front door. Don't want you getting a cold, do we?"

Asteria blinked, nodded, and put on Casper's hoodie. His scent filled her nose and she got out of the car. Casper and Asteria walked to the front door.

Casper knocked when they approached, and the door opened to a very sweet looking middle aged woman.

"Casper, honey! It's so lovely to see you. Are you here for—"

"Hi, Mrs. Rothwell. I actually was here to talk to you about your daughter. This is my friend, Asteria," Casper smiled, putting an arm around Asteria's waist.

"Hello, Asteria. You are gorgeous. Come on in." Mrs. Rothwell said, stepping aside so the teenagers could walk into the house. Asteria was beyond confused.

Groceries sat on top of the kitchen counter as they walked in. Fresh ones. Rain drops still against the reusable grocery bags.

Footsteps approached the kitchen, and they all turned their head to a girl walking in. Asteria recognized her very fast.

"Justine, Casper stopped by to say hi." Mrs. Rothwell spoke. "He wanted to talk to me about something."

Horror struck Justine's eyes as they slid over to Casper, then Asteria, then her mom. "I actually have something to do—"

"No," Casper spoke up. "You're gonna stay. Mrs. Rothwell, your daughter has been sending threatening text messages to Asteria for nearly a month now."

Casper inhaled. "I have proof and everything. She even changed her number to continue texting 'Steria after she had blocked Justine. More recently, 20 minutes ago, I found Asteria crying in the save-a-lot parking lot after receiving a photo of her getting medicine, with the caption, 'how would Casper feel if you were buying drugs?'. The funny thing about this is that I had seen Justine's car in the parking lot seconds before finding Asteria."

Mrs. Rothwell's eyes were so wide, like they could see the whole room. Her eyes turned to Justine. "Is this true? Is this why you wanted to change your number? For this?"

"No, mom, I wouldn't—"

"Each text had mentioned me, as well. The first one was 'stay away from him, Asteria Clifford, or you will regret it.' a little after Justine and I stopped by her work and I introduced them." Casper said. "And after I had taken Asteria to an Aquarium, and I had posted a photo of Asteria on my story, Justine texted her, and I quote, 'I thought I told you to stay away from him, Asteria. Yet you went to the Aquarium. Trust me, I mean it when I say I'll make your life a living hell.'"

Asteria felt a pang in her chest as she saw Justine try to defend herself against her mom, against them.

Mrs. Rothwell looked at her daughter with pure terror. "I did not raise you to be like this, Justine Rothwell. Why would you do this to a girl? Just because she talked to a guy you liked? Are you fucking insane?"

Justine looked at Asteria, Casper, then her mom again. "I swear, I was just—"

"I would like to know everything." Mrs. Rothwell interrupted her daughter, turning to Casper and Asteria. "Tell me everything."

"Continuously, the texts would consist of Justine threatening Asteria. 'You'll be very sorry when I show everyone your secrets.'" Casper said, showing the texts to Mrs. Rothwell as he continued. "After that text, she started emailing Asteria. Threatening her. Telling her personal things about her life — things I had mentioned." Casper took a breath.

"I had mentioned her birthday, where she worked, her uncles names, brothers names, parents names. Mind you — one of her parents unfortunately passed away, and Justine still mentioned it, mocking Asteria." Casper said.

"When I went to Asteria's work with Justine, and I was looking for her. I wanted to say hi. When we sat down with our slushies — Justine got defensive over me looking for Asteria and saying hi. When I was talking to Asteria, Justine approached and continuously called Asteria the wrong name. Even after I corrected her."

"And that led up to today, when I found Asteria crying in the parking lot. Terrified." Casper finished. "And I found out it was Justine when I saw the number, the car, and it all finally led up."

Mrs. Rothwell exhaled a slow, steady breath. She said, "Asteria, I am so, so sorry for my daughter's behavior. I'm sure a sorry isn't enough, especially after enduring this for a long time, but I'm sorry. She will be apologizing to you right now, and sending you a handwritten apology."

"It's okay, Mrs. Rothwell, it's not your fault." Asteria said softly.

Justine looked at Asteria, then Casper and said. "I'm sorry."

"I am not the one you should be apologizing to," Casper said, stepping aside as Asteria was in view. "She is."

Justine clenched her jaw, and said. "I'm sorry."

"Justine," Mrs. Rothwell said. "I did not fucking raise you like this. Apologize like you mean it."

Justine inhaled. "I'm sorry." She said firmly.

"Me and Asteria are going to head home now," Casper put an arm around Asteria's waist. "But thank you for listening."

"I'm so sorry for my daughters behavior," Mrs. Rothwell said with a sad smile. "I am going to keep you updated on my daughter's punishment. When Justine has written the letter, you may come over and grab it."

"Thank you, Mrs. Rothwell." Asteria said softly, feeling Casper's hand squeeze her side gently. The two said their goodbyes and left the house.

When Asteria and Casper got into Asteria's car, she said. "Thank you. You know, for everything. I– I'm sorry for shouting at you."

"Don't be sorry," Casper said softly, "I get it. I'm not mad. I'm glad you shouted at the person you thought was behind this bullshit. You're brave, and so incredibly smart. Don't apologize for standing up for yourself."