do as we say, not as we do.

( Asteria Clifford,

June 2nd, 5:21 PM )

I winced and slowly looked up at Ashton's firm face.

"Hey..." I shuddered. "How are you?"

"I would be tons better if I wasn't worrying about where you were, Asteria." Ashton's eyebrows knitted together. "Didn't you see my texts?"

I glanced down at my phone in my hand and back up at him and shook my head, not speaking another word in fear of my grounding.

"I asked you to be home earlier today, Asteria, because I was getting home early. I've been here since 3." He informed me. "And, now that I remember, why did your school call too?"

"Uh—"

"You missed the 4th period, 5th period, and 6th period. And your after-school meeting the principal set up, Asteria." Ashton said angrily. He backed up a bit. "Care to tel me why you missed it?"

You can say it. I'm fucked.

"I'm sorry, Ashton." I silently said. "I didn't mean to fuck up so bad."

"Language." He lectured. "You're lucky I was the one to answer the phone first. If it were your father, you wouldn't be standing here. You would be grounded in your room."

"I know—"

"You're not in trouble now." He said, catching me off guard. I looked up at him confused. "But if I catch you doing it again, Asteria Marie, I will tell your father. It won't be pretty either."

I nodded quickly. "Yes. I know. It won't happen again, I promise."

"Good." Ashton nodded firmly. "Now, go shower. You're getting sand everywhere— and you stink like the sea." He gestured to the sand in my hair and on my face. "When you're done, come downstairs. I need help making dinner."

I nodded again and ran up the stairs and down the hall and into my bedroom. Once I was in my room, I shut the door and locked it before wiping my forehead. I thanked the lord that I wasn't in any trouble.

I rinsed off all of the sand on my body quickly and I changed into a pair of sweatpants and a tank top when I was done.

After I brushed my hair, I went downstairs to the kitchen.

"Hello kiddo," Luke greeted me with a hug, which I wasn't expecting, and messed up my hair. "I heard you skipped school today. Classic."

I quickly shushed him, "Shhhh!" I whispered, "Ashton," Ashton turned his head to us quickly, "You told him?"

"No." He shook his head. "Everyone in this house, besides your brother, gets a call about you missing school."

I rolled my eyes, annoyed, and tried to help Ashton make dinner quickly. We made teriyaki chicken and rice.

While putting my dinner in a bowl, Calum walked in and looked straight at me with proud eyes.

"You skipped school?!" He shouted.

I threw my head back. "Does everyone have to know, Ashton?"

Ashton chuckled. "Good learning opportunity to not do it again. And no, everyone doesn't know. Your father doesn't know."

"Yes, Calum, I skipped school. Come on, you guys probably did too!" I defended myself. Luke tilted his head in a manner to say it was possible.

"Eh. A couple of times." He shrugged. "But do as we say, not as we do darling."

I grabbed my drink and said, "Goodnight." and went upstairs.

I shut my bedroom door and put my food beside me on my bed and turned on the show Outerbanks and ended my night soundly.