Chapter Thirty

It's eight o'clock on Friday night when Lisa receives a text from Jennie. It's not very detailed but that's not to say that it doesn't grab Lisa's attention.

From: Jennie Kimazing

Come round.

Lisa isn't entirely sure what that invitation entails but she's sure as hell taking Jennie up on it. Ever since Lisa last went round to Jennie's things between them have been strange. There have been soft brushes of hands under tables during lessons and secretive glances over lunch but there's been no move to make anything that happened public.

Lisa knows that that's not the most important thing, but that doesn't mean that she's not slightly hurt that Jennie is intent on keeping this a secret. And so Lisa is determined that the two of them need to sort this whole situation out before it gets seriously out of hand.

To: Jennie Kimazing

Why?

Half an hour later and Jennie still hasn't replied so Lisa decides that she might as well just head over there. It's not the shortest walk but Lisa manages it in a reasonable time, tugging her jacket closer to her body as the cold breeze surrounds her.

Lisa can hear the music before she even sees Jennie's house. It's a thumping rhythm and for a brief moment Lisa feels like the ground is shaking beneath her. She knows her knock won't be heard over the noise but she tries anyway. When no one replies, she pushes the door open cautiously to reveal the chaos inside.

Jennie is nowhere to be seen but the corridor is crowded. Sweaty bodies pressed uncomfortably close to one another. Most are just talking, some dancing, and Lisa can see a couple making out in the corner.

Making her way towards the kitchen, Lisa keeps an eye out for Jennie. Already wanting to kill the girl for luring her here. Parties are not Lisa's thing, not that she's ever been to one before. But she can't imagine that it's a place she'll fit in, she's never been the most outgoing person ever and people being drunk can't help that situation.

It's Irene that Lisa spots first, she's desperately trying to stop someone from doing body shots on the kitchen counter.

"Hey Irene," Lisa says.

She looks up briefly when she hears Lisa's voice before looking back down and then doing a double take.

"Lisa?" She says, as if she's not sure it's really her. "Don't say you were in on this too?"

"In on this?"

"I got home from work ten minutes ago to find everyone crowded in the house, I'm going to kill Jennie when I find her."

"So I'm guessing you don't know where she is?"

"If I did then you'd be looking for a dead body."

Lisa lets out a nervous laugh.

"Well I'm gonna go find her," Lisa says, starting to back away.

"Tell her I'm looking for her."

"Will do," Lisa calls over her shoulder.

And so the search continues. Lisa is forced to push through throngs of people before she spots Jennie. The girl is stood on a table downing a row of shots as people stand and watch. Lisa isn't sure what's up but she's sure it can't be good.

Lisa isn't sure what to do. There's a possibility that Jennie wasn't even the one who texted her, and that scares Lisa more than it probably should.

"Jennie."

All it takes is the sound of Lisa's voice to make Jennie's head whip round in shock. She cocks her head to the side and stares for a few moments before hopping down off the table and making her way towards Lisa.