Chapter Thirty-nine

Lisa tries to tear her eyes away from Jennie but it's difficult.

The other girl is moving quickly around the kitchen, singing along to some Top 40 hit on the radio, hips swinging in time to the music, hands drumming a rhythm on the countertop. A pair of lose shirt covering her shorts, and her hair is still wet from the shower.

"I never took you as a cook," Lisa comments as Jennie places the food in the oven

"I'm cooking chicken nuggets."

"Very domesticated."

"Yeah well I know how to treat a girl right."

A small, nervous smile tugs at the ends of Lisa's lips, a blush flooding her cheeks and she stares down at her twisted hands.

"Indeed you do."

Jennie makes her way over to where Lisa is perched on the countertop and places a soft kiss to Lisa's bangs-covered forehead; hands placed either side of Lisa's legs. She stands in between them, watching the food cook as Lisa's hand wind themselves into Jennie's hair, running through the strands, tugging lightly when they reach any knots.

"That feels good," Jennie murmurs, tilting her head back slightly.

"Yeah well don't get used to this kind of treatment."

"Even though I cook for you?"

"Jennie you've placed some chicken nuggets and smiley faces in the oven, it's not exactly a three course meal."

"One day I'll cook you a three course meal and I'll expect this kind of treatment on a regular basis."

"Well then you'll have to cook a three course meal for me on a regular basis."

"Deal," Jennie replies.

Lisa feels her breath hitch slightly. She knows that the two of them are only joking around, but she still feels like they're edging slightly closer to things being right. Because surely joking about the future, leads to talking about the future and maybe, just maybe, that makes a future between them seem like a real possibility.

"Don't stop," Jennue whines when Lisa's hands still.

"Sorry."

Her fingers resume their actions, and when Jennie's locks are completely detangled, Lisa stars to knead her fingers into a Jennie's scalp. Lisa blushes when a moan escapes Jennie's mouth.

"You should definitely give me massages more often," Jennie says.

"I've been told I'm very talented with my hands."

Jennie raises an eyebrow suggestively.

"And how are you with your mouth?"

Lisa swallows nervously. She's aware how easy all of this flirting comes to Jennie but Lisa is vastly inexperienced and sure, Jennie may never have done this with a girl before but Lisa has never really done this with anyone before. There's been kisses and flirting but never anything more, and so Lisa isn't entirely sure how to act.

"I couldn't say. I suppose you'll have to feedback later."

Jennie coughs in surprise.

"I suppose I will."

Jennie refuses to meet Lisa's eye after that, suddenly the food is the most important thing and they require Jennie's complete and utter attention.

Lisa contents herself with scrolling through her phone, notifying her mum that she won't be home for dinner. After that it's a simple matter of scrolling through her tumblr feed (having asked Jennie for the wifi password as soon as she walked through the door) until the food is ready.