chapter vi.

*    · .      ✺        ✧ .   ✵  *   *    · .        ✵  *       ✫  *   .   ·          ⊹    ✺    .     ✧     ✦    ✫   .   ✫  * .               ·    ⊹    ✺ .        ✧ .   ✦    ✫   .  .

CHAPTER VI

WE GOT SHIPS

LITTLE VIK SAT COMFORTABLY ON HER HIP as they looked over the city. He pointed at the structures and views, asking Cal a ton of questions. But the female didn't mind his constant asking at all. It made her proud that was eager to learn and so curious about the world.

"How about that one?" Vik pointed at a large ship docked on the Sidra.

"That's a merchant's ship."

The siblings turned upon hearing Azriel's voice. Cal gave him a small smile as a greeting. He looked good in the mornings, she thought.

"Why are they so big?" Vik asked.

The shadowsinger rested his arms on the ledge of the balcony, "They travel around Prythian to trade or sell their things."

The boy's eyes brightened with wonder. He bounced on Callaghan's hip, "I want to be a merchant too, Cal!"

She just rolled her eyes, "You just want to see if they got any shiny things in there, don't you?"

"How did you know?" The boy pouted.

"Because I know you, my little crow," she tickled his abdomen, making the boy giggle. Cal hated seeing him frown or pout, she'd rather hear his giggles and laughs all day.

"Do you want to take a closer look?" Azriel suggested, turning to look at the two.

Vik's eyes widened in excitement, tugging at his sister, "Can we, Cal? Can we?"

"Uhm, sir, I―"

"I need to sun out my wings anyway," He shrugged at her, holding his hand towards the boy, "Let's go?"

Vik turned to his sister, to which Cal nodded her head to Azriel, assuring the boy that he'll be safe. The shadowsinger places the boy by his hip and holds his free hand out to Callaghan. She looks at it then shakes her head, "It's alright, sir, I'll catch up."

Cal steps closer to her brother, "While you're in the air, feel the wind on your face. You'll love it, Vik."

She and the shadowsinger shared a look before he leapt into the air. She kept an eye on them until Vik's shrieks turned into excited shouts. Cal chuckles as she runs back in the house to walk down the staircase to get to the city. She wasn't permitted to winnow in and out the House of Wind yet since she was new.

Once out of the house, she winnows to meet Azriel and Vik by the river. The boy rushes up to her and pulls her toward the ships. "Cal, I swallowed a bug!" Vik says, proudly.

Callaghan looks up at Azriel, who had a sheepish look on his face, "Accident."

"Uhm, sure," she turns back to Vik. "Let's go look around?"

And that they did, but with Azriel trailing a few steps behind. Cal was confused on why he kept his distance, "You know you can walk closer, right?"

He raised a brow, "You think you can talk to me like that?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, sir, I―"

"I'm kidding," he cuts off her blabbering, falling in step with her.