chapter xxxiv.

*    · .     ✺    ✧ .  ✵ *   *    · .     ✵ *      ✫ *   .   · ⊹   ✺ .   ✧    ✦ ✫   . ✫ * .            ·   ⊹   ✺ .     ✧ .  ✦ ✫   . .

CHAPTER XXXIV

GOOD

LAUGHS can be heard as the shadowsinger and his spy accompanied each other in the halls. Callaghan could barely suppress her laughter when she remembered how ridiculous Cassian danced with them that night.

The dance between her and Azriel was cut short when a star-spirit decided to slam itself on her hair. He tried to keep his laughs to himself but then Cas and Mor saw the entire thing and let out loud guffaws of their own. She took some of the glowing paint-like specs from her head and smeared them on their faces. Mor gaped at her in disbelief and Cassian took more from her hair, almost taking her pearls out, and slammed his glowing hand right on Azriel's face. The three paused for a moment, preparing for the shadowsinger's reaction. "Oh it's on," he said, his hand reaching out and messing up the General's hair.

They were like children. Playing around with the stardust and dancing as the music swallowed them. It wasn't long until Rhys and Feyre joined in the fun. Before they knew it, Viktor, together with his florist, began dancing with them too. Bright smiles and great joy enveloped the Night Court's Inner Circle as the festivities went on. Nothing could compare to this moment. Even for a brief second, they didn't feel the threat of an incoming war.

By the end of the night, Rhys and Feyre went to the townhouse, Mor was asleep on the settee, Cassian was passed out somewhere, and the two lovers — Vik and Nalu — were nowhere to be found.

Callaghan held her shoes in her hand as she walked to her room with Azriel by her side. He had offered to usher her to her quarters, and who was she to refuse?

Their laughs died down to a comforting silence when they reached her door. She lifts her eyes up at him, where she notices how young he looked with his hair flopped over his forehead. The slicked back style it had earlier now gone. Cal reached up to brush the hair off his face, her knuckles gently running along his cheekbone as she lowered her hand, "Thank you for tonight."

He peered at her with those warm eyes of his. The molten gold meeting her own. "Thank you for the dance."

Truth to be told, Callaghan would've danced with him 'til the sun came to say hello, but alas, the tight shoes she wore made her feet ache a whole lot. All in the name of fashion.

"Rest, dearest," she told him, "We have a long day tomorrow."

He was not sure if it was the liquid courage in his system or the absolute happiness he felt that prompted him to ask, "Dream of me?"

"I will," a soft smile graced her features, "I always will."

──────────────────────────────

THE MOUNTAINS were freezing, especially at this time of the year. Cal was glad she had many layers on as she trekked in the snow.

She raised her arms in mock defense when a sword point touched her chin, "Lord Devlon, such a pleasure as always."

"What are you doing here?" he asked, glaring at her.