chapter xxx.

*    · .      ✺        ✧ .   ✵  *   *    · .        ✵  *       ✫  *   .   ·          ⊹    ✺    .     ✧     ✦    ✫   .   ✫  * .               ·    ⊹    ✺ .        ✧ .   ✦    ✫   .  .

CHAPTER XXX

COWARDS

RHYSAND walked through the stairwell dressed in his usual elegant clothes with Callaghan in tow. They had arrived just in time to stop a possible brawl between Amren and Cassian. "Sorry to interrupt when things were getting interesting."

"Fortunately for Cassian's balls," Amren stated, leaning back on her lounge chair, "You arrived at the right time."

Cal on the other hand, was in her usual green cloak despite the sun. She walked behind Amren's chaise and rested her elbows on it, ignoring Amren's glares toward her.

For Feyre, she had barely seen Cal these past few days. She was like Azriel, going around and gathering information from their spies. And Cal preferred going to her spies directly, meeting with them face to face. Through these meetings, Cal could easily pick out any lies that couldn't be seen when written on paper.

Rhys went on telling them about how Summer had invited them to their court. Though Cassian seemed to dislike the idea since he wasn't going. Callaghan was entertained at hearing Amren and Cassian exchange words. Anyone brave enough to argue with the silver eyed female is certainly a fool.

"It could easily be a trap," Cas said, "Who's to say the delay in replying wasn't because they're contacting our enemies to ambush you?"

"It's not a trap, Cassian," Cal butted in, "My spies would've reported to me if it was."

The General turned to her, "How reliable are your spies, huh?"

"Very."

"That is also why Amren is coming," Rhys said simply.

Then he spoke to the said female, convincing her to come with them to the Summer court. Cal saw how Amren's eyes twinkled at the mention of jewels and treasures. That was enough to get her going.

Cassian wanted to object, but Rhys told him, "I need you — not Amren — in the human realm. The Summer Court has you banned for eternity, and though your presence would be a good distraction while Feyre does what she has to, it could lead to more trouble than it's worth."

Her smile faltered when she remembered what Feyre had to do. The girl was to steal from a High Lord, albeit young and inexperienced, Tarquin is still a High Lord. Feyre had a heavy task on her shoulders.

But Cas kept on going with his point, almost arguing with Rhysand. Until Rhys had enough and left with Amren and Feyre. Mor had to stop Cassian from lurching to the High Lord. One word from the golden haired female made the General obey.

"Calm down, Cas," the female spy laid a hand on his shoulder.

"You're the one to talk, Callaghan. I never said anything when you sulked around about not going to missions," Cas glared at her and shrugged her hand away as he walked into the house.

──────────────────────────────

"HE'S PISSY THIS MORNING," Cal heard Amren tell Feyre while they readied to leave for Adriata.

Rhys took Amren's hand and held out the other to Feyre. "Why?" the girl asked the short female.

"Because," Rhysand answered, "I stayed out late with Cassian and Azriel, and they took me for all I was worth in cards."