chapter xiii.

*    · .      ✺        ✧ .   ✵  *   *    · .        ✵  *       ✫  *   .   ·          ⊹    ✺    .     ✧     ✦    ✫   .   ✫  * .               ·    ⊹    ✺ .        ✧ .   ✦    ✫   .  .

CHAPTER XIII

WE WILL GET BACK

RHYSAND CAME TO HER that night, he was glad to find her awake. He knew about her relationship with the peregryn. A part of him was happy that she found solace even after being trapped. When the Attor brought the peregryn in, Rhysand hid his shock. He knew the peregryn wouldn't leave the throne room alive. If he interfered with Amarantha, it would surely cause some trouble.

There he saw Callaghan, in her tiny room, staring at the wall emotionless. Though her hands were closed, almost white from how tight they were. "He passed feeling no pain, I can assure you."

"Thank you," she turned to him with her teary eyes, patting the spot beside her, beckoning him to sit and so he did. Cal needed her friend right now, not her High Lord.

He tried not to flinch when she took his hand.

"What will you do when we get out of here?"

"Fly," he answered without a second thought.

She lets out a dry laugh, "Funny, I was gonna say eat a shit ton of pastries, but you win. I'll give you that."

Callaghan followed his gaze on her bandaged fingers, "Helion came as soon as he heard. He also said that High Lord Thesan took Arrin to give him a proper burial."

"I'm sorry I couldn't save him, Cal."

They haven't really talked to each other properly since the day they got trapped. It provided her comfort that Rhysand still cared for her.

"It's not your fault, Rhys," she said, "It's Amarantha's."

Rhysand wiped her tears with his thumb, "We will get back, you will get back."

"We will get back," she told him. "We will get back to our family."

"We will get back," he repeated. "Sleep, Callaghan."

"You too," she gripped his hand, "Other people might pass it off, but I know you, Rhysand. You're tired."

"There's no rest for the wicked, Cal."

She shook her head, "Don't say that. You're not wicked."

Rhysand just places a soft kiss on her temple, "Rest, my friend."

──────────────────────────────

[ notes! ]

im still quite torn on choosing between cal x rhys or cal x cassian as the best brotp vjnsdnfs

*    · .     ✺    ✧ .  ✵ *   *    · .     ✵ *      ✫ *   .   · ⊹   ✺ .   ✧    ✦ ✫   . ✫ * .            ·   ⊹   ✺ .     ✧ .  ✦ ✫   . .