chapter xxxi.

*    · .      ✺        ✧ .   ✵  *   *    · .        ✵  *       ✫  *   .   ·          ⊹    ✺    .     ✧     ✦    ✫   .   ✫  * .               ·    ⊹    ✺ .        ✧ .   ✦    ✫   .  .

CHAPTER XXXI

CIVIL

"HEARD YOU AND AZ GOT A BIT OF A SCUFFLE," Cassian plops on the spot beside her on the couch. "Tell me about it."

Before she knew it, Vik slumped right on the couch as well, "I'd like to know too."

"And I'd like to read in peace," Cal didn't even look up from her book.

"What are you reading this early in the morning anyw—" he tilts his head to look at the title on the spine, "Oh no, Naturale Flames? Are you serious?"

"It's called a classic, Cassian."

"A classic piece of shit!"

She closed her book shut and stood, "I'm getting breakfast."

Like loyal dogs, the two also stood and followed her to the dining room. There they saw Azriel sitting down next to Mor. "Oh boy, here we go," Vik utters.

Callaghan practically ignored his presence. If he was going to be stubborn and petty, she could play his game too.

They ate in silence until Cassian exclaimed, "What the hell?"

Rhys, Feyre, and Amren fell to the carpet, spraying sand and water everywhere. The beach, she was probably near the book that night. But then again, the beach was large, she may still be very far.

She and the others all stood from their seats, demanding explanations. Feyre told them about the Tithe with the water wraiths and how she helped them.

Then she and Amren started laughing. Brows furrowed, she and Vik shared a look. Honestly, she was very confused. The two women only stopped when Rhysand said, "Ladies."

They stood and with a snap of Amrens fingers, they were both clean and dry. Feyre took out the book from her pocket.

A bit anticlimactic, Callaghan thought to herself. It looked more like an old box than a book. It began to speak when Feyre touched it. Its voice bringing chills into Cal's back.

When the book clicked open, Cassian's eyes were dark, "I never want to hear that voice again."

"Well, you will," Rhys' voice was bland as he lifted up the lid. "Because you're coming with us to see those mortal queens as soon as they deign to visit."

In the box was not paper or leather, it was pieces of metal with an unknown language written on it. Cal saw Amren stare at it and paled at the sight. Her eyes flickered to the silver-eyed female's hands but Amren placed it smoothly in her pockets.

That was why he brought Amren, he figured she might know what it meant or she could understand the ancient language.

Rhysand played dirty, again. He didn't tell Amren the real reason he brought her there.

Callaghan gripped on her fork tightly. It was no weapon, but it was a good enough distraction if it came to. She didn't listen too much to their conversations, only kept an eye on Amren. Preparing in case she struck. She only relaxed when she was sure Amren wasn't going to burst out anytime soon.

Soon, they returned back to their breakfast while Amren told the story of how they got the book. It was hidden in a temple, only visible when low tide. Cal was glad that they all came back safe, but the missing piece about Tarquin bothered her. Did the High Lord know they left early? That they stole from him?