chapter xi.

*    · .     ✺    ✧ .  ✵ *   *    · .     ✵ *      ✫ *   .   · ⊹   ✺ .   ✧    ✦ ✫   . ✫ * .            ·   ⊹   ✺ .     ✧ .  ✦ ✫   . .

CHAPTER XI

STEALTH  MISSION?

RHYSAND AND CALLAGHAN went to separate directions when they walked in. As a servant, the spy stood by the back, waiting to get ordered around. She was then given a tray with cups filled with wine, which she paraded around the hall. Some took glasses from her, and some also placed their used one's on the tray.

This went on for a few hours. Callaghan listened in to conversations and gossip, often opening her mind to Rhysand when she thought it valuable.

"Why on the Cauldron are you dressed like that?"

She nearly jumped when she heard his voice. Cal was surprised he was even talking to her. "High Lord Helion," she bowed, making a frown appear on his handsome face.

"Darling," he was puzzled, "Are you quite alright?"

"You're blowing my cover, High Lord," she whispered with her head still bowed.

Immediately, his face held shock and surprise. "Oh, oh, oh! Is this a stealth mission?" He whispers excitedly.

"Not anymore, obviously," she looks around, hoping to meet Rhysand's gaze to ask for help.

"Watch this," Helion winked at her, placing his now empty goblet on her tray, "Be gone, girl!"

She wanted to let out a groan at Helion's loud declaration, but she just bowed and walked away.

I said, blend in, Rhysand told her after witnessing the fiasco.

Cal bit back the urge to roll her eyes, It was him, I blended well.

Sure, whatever you say.

When Amarantha came, she held herself with such high regard and it unnerved Rhysand. The female had Jurian's eye on her ring which alone elicited several gasps. Her smile showed no joy or humor, it was almost like a predator coming for her prey.

Rhysand began thinking quickly. He could feel something stirring as the Deceiver started talking. Turns out, she had placed poison in the wine, rendering the high fae to her whim. The High Lord of Night felt the effects creeping up his system slowly.

Cal, I need you to go home and―

No, I will not leave you.

Rhys thought for a moment, From this moment on, you are not to go near me or help me. I am a High Lord, I do not know you at all. You will obey everything ordered to you. Am I clear, Callaghan?

Rhys―

Am I clear?

Yes.

Before Rhysand succumbed to the poison, he met the worried eyes of his friend who wanted nothing more than to help him.

──────────────────────────────

[ notes! ]

short chapters ahead :<

*    · .     ✺    ✧ .  ✵ *   *    · .     ✵ *      ✫ *   .   · ⊹   ✺ .   ✧    ✦ ✫   . ✫ * .            ·   ⊹   ✺ .     ✧ .  ✦ ✫   . .