2

All around the Institute, holograms containing Jace's face appear with 'wanted, dead or alive' displayed in block red lettering.

"What's going on?"

"Aldertree said he wanted to rescue Jace," Clary whispers as Davina glares at her.

Aldertree approaches the small group, overhearing Clary's statement and is quick to interject himself.

"Actually, Clary, I said I wanted to find him. And you gave me the clue I needed to do just that" Aldertree says.

"What did you tell him?" Alec asks.

"Alec, I-"

"Is this everyone? Fantastic. First up, all Downworlders are forbidden from entering the Institute without my prior approval. For those still present, good day. Mr Graymark-"

"I'm not leaving Jocelyn. Besides, my badge gives access to resources that you don't have. I can help you find Jace" Luke says.

"That's generous of you, but I'm going to have to insist," Aldertree says.

"Call me when you can," Luke says to Jocelyn.

"Yeah,"

Luke turns and begins to leave as Aldertree turns to Simon who was stood next to Clary.

"You too, Simon. Simon, right?" Aldertree says.

"It's almost dawn. I don't have anywhere to go" Simon says.

"Hey, you're a smart guy. I'm sure you'll figure something out" Aldertree says.

"Simon, come on," Luke says.

"I'll be okay," Simon says.

"Now, let's get to it. I've reviewed your statements, along with the reports of your unsanctioned missions. And I can come to no other conclusion that Jace Wayland is a traitor to the Clave"

"Jace is not a traitor," Davina says.

"Point of fact. Clary said Jace called to warn you about Valentine's trap, which got me thinking Jace had multiple chances to kill Valentine, but he chose to let him leave. Now, Valentine, Jace, and the Cup are missing. Do the math" Aldertree says.

"You might need to recalculate," Davina snaps, crossing her arms over her chest.

"There is no way we're gonna help you hunt Jace," Clary says.

"And I'd never ask you to. You and your friends are prohibited from any further involvement in the hunt for Jace Wayland" Aldertree says.

"What-" Davina begins but Aldertree holds up a hand to silence her.

"The rest of you, back to work. I'm lifting the lockdown on the Institute, except for Clary and Jocelyn. Given your relationship with Valentine and Jace, I wanna keep a close eye on you. Davina will be allowed on the field as Jace will be guaranteed to show up"

"I will not be bait for you to capture him," Davina shakes her head.

Clary and Jocelyn begin to have a hushed discussion which appears to get heated on Clary's behalf. Davina tunes in as Jocelyn tries to make Clary feel like a small child once again.

"I know you think you understand this world, but you don't," Jocelyn says.

"She would have understood this world if you hadn't locked her away from it," Davina says before looking away.

"Dismissed!"

The Lightwood siblings and Davina are quick to follow after Aldertree, protesting his actions and begging him to let them bring Jace in peacefully.

"You can't do this," Alec says.

"See, that's the thing about being the boss. I can and I did" Aldertree says.

"Then revoke the dead-or-alive order. Jace is one of us"

"Challenging the authority of the head of the Institute is grounds for severe punishment, including de-runing"

Aldertree walks away leaving the three in stunned silence, knowing they needed to be in the Institute to help find Jace before the Clave did.

"Vee" Clary walks over to her best friend who glares at her.

"What did you do?" Davina asks, shoving Clary back. "WHAT DID YOU DO?"

"Davina!"

Alec grabs Davina and pulls her away from a tearful Clary. Davina glares at the girl who was now being comforted by her mother.

"Let's go train," Alec says. "Out of the Institute"

Alec leads Davina out of the Institute and they stand in the gardens. Davina had a scowl set on her face as she glares at Alec.

"Alec, I'm really not in the mood,"

"You're thinking too much. Imagine I'm someone you're mad at"

Davina throws her fist forward and Alec's head snaps back.

"Now who's thinking too much?"

During their fight, Davina attempts to punch Alec, but he manages to dodge her swing. As he stands back up, Davina tries to strike his face, but Alec blocks her attack. In response, Davina kicks him in the stomach, causing him to lose his balance and step backwards.

"You're improving," Alec comments before throwing her a wooden pole.

Alec attempted to strike Davina with his pole, but she swiftly countered by swinging her own pole upwards. Both of them displayed impressive fighting prowess, with Davina relying on her natural instincts as she spun and dodged. Looking every bit an Angel of Death. Despite her skills, Davina let out a small cry of surprise when Alec unexpectedly swept her legs from under her.

"Always keep your guard up," Alec says, offering her a hand which she takes but quickly uses to yank Alec down and pins her knee against his chest.

"I win," Davina says.

"Still want to kill Clary?"

"Considering it," Davina says, brushing her clothes off. "But it's too much effort. Besides, I want to focus on finding Jace and defeating the evilest Shadowhunter to have lived who is my best friend's father who is my boyfriend's sister"

Davina's phone rings and she sees it's an unknown number.

"Dee, it's Clary"

"Can I help you or am I going to end up wanted dead or alive?"

"My mom's tracking Jace," Clary says. "I'm calling you from a payphone because she stole my stele and phone, I think she's going to kill him"

"Alright, where do I need to go?"