28

Imogen had made Davina and Jace stay silent about the possibility of Clary's real brother being alive. Even from Clary herself.

Jace, Davina, and Clary approach Alec, Thomas, and Isabelle.

"Shadowhunter down!" Jace says.

"Milo Keytower," Davina says.

"What happened?

"From what I understand, his runes were carved out. Is that true, Jace?" Imogen asks.

"Yes, after he was attacked by a wolf"

"He had multiple bites and claw marks," Clary says.

"What kind of werewolf randomly attacks a Shadowhunter?" Davina asks.

"One who's trying to send a message," Alec says.

"And get the attention of the Clave," Imogen says.

"We need to find them before this happens again," Davina says.

"Well, I think I have a pretty good idea who it is," Imogen says.

Luke had been pulled into the Institute and is currently being questioned by Imogen. Jace, Davina, and Alec are in the room, too.

"Are you questioning me or are you accusing me?" Luke asks.

"A week ago, you demanded the destruction of the Soul Sword. A demand which, of course, is impossible to even consider. Which leads me to wonder, was this killing an act of revenge on the Clave?" Imogen asks.

"You think that I would murder a Shadowhunter?" Luke asks in disbelief.

"We all know about your temper, Lucian"

"Does she really think Luke did this?" Alec asks and Davina shrugs.

"Seems so"

"Take my DNA. Test it against your evidence. I'm not your wolf. And if anyone in my pack did it, I'll kill them myself"

"Take him down to the lab,"

Luke stands up and he, Davina, and Alec leave the room.

Alec is working on the computer, meanwhile, he's talking to Jace and Davina.

"Congratulations," Alec says to Jace.

"It should've been you. I told her that"

"The Clave was never gonna hand it to me. I'm dating a guy who's a Downworlder who is also a guy" Alec says.

"I'll stab them for you," Davina says and Alec chuckles, wrapping an arm around Davina's shoulders. 

"No stabbing," Alec says.

"Look, Alec, I didn't want this. I swear,"

"You're a Herondale. Get used to the perks" Alec says bitterly.

The alarm starts blaring. Clary and some other Shadowhunters enter the Ops Center.

"What happened?"

"We found Rosegreen and Penmount dead in the Bowery. Runes carved out" Clary says.

"Just like Keytower," Davina says.

The bodies are wheeled in on stretchers.

"Except Penmount's been drained by a vampire," Alec says.

"And Rosegreen was lanced by a Seelie knight," Jace says.

"It's not just a lone wolf. It's multiple Downworlders" Clary says.

"Luke was right all along. These Downworlders want revenge. This could be the start of an uprising" Jace says.

"Davina, with me," Imogen says and Davina looks at the other in mild terror before following Imogen. "I want you to tell me what you feel standing over the bodies"