6

The trio of Shadowhunters turn the corner to enter a backstreet alleyway but their movements are halted when they come face to face with two snarling werewolves. The trio turn to attempt to flee only to be faced with Maia, Luke's new protégée, who was in her human form.

"End of line," Is all Maia says.

Those three words send Davina and Thomas into defence mode, pulling out their seraph blades. The angelic light illuminating the dark alleyway. Davina points the blade at Maia as

"End of the line"

Davina and Thomas quickly pull out their Seraph blades and Jace spies the engraved handle with a small smile before snapping back to the seriousness of the situation.

"So close. And yet, so far" Jace says.

"Not the time for sarcasm, Jace" Davina says.

"Gretel was our pack member. And she was my friend. You need to pay for what you did to her"

"I didn't kill her. Valentine used me, just like he's using you right now. Us fighting with each other is only giving him what he wants" Jace says.

"Really? Give me one good reason why I should believe you"

"Because I know what it's like to lose someone you love. My brother is counting on me. Just- You can kill me, just please let me get to him first" Jace says.

The werewolf hesitates, Jace clearly hits a nerve.

"Well, I wish I could, but, uh it's them you'll have to convince"

"Try it I dare you, bitch" Davina says and she snarls. "You want to try me?"

"Stop!" Clary shouts.

Clary and Luke run in.

"Stand down!" Luke shouts.

Davina and Thomas make sure Jace is safely behind them as the wolves continue to snap and snarl.

"Keep out of this, Luke"

"Jace didn't kill Gretel. It was Valentine. I'm telling you the truth. I swear!"

One of the wolves next to Maia comes for Jace. Just before the wolf attacks, he is hit and being choked by a whip. Isabelle has just come out of a Portal.

"Stay. Good doggy. By the order of the Clave, Jace Wayland is coming with me!" Isabelle says.

"Maia! I said stand down" Luke growls.

Eventually, Maia and the wolves bow down causing Davina and Thomas to put their blades away.

"Thanks, Izzy. I owe you one" Jace says.

"Don't thank me yet," Isabelle says.

Magnus gives Jace the chunk of adamas Alec had apparently used to track Jace. Jace takes Alec's hand and puts the stone between them. The stone lights up.

"Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee"

Alec makes a move. The stone falls from their hands and the thud resounds through Davina's ears.

"What's happening?" Isabelle asks.

"He's slipping," Magnus says.

"No-" Davina whispers and she grabs Isabelle's hand

Alec is wheezing and Davina looks around worriedly.

"Thy people will be my people, thy God will be my God. When thou diest, I will die. And there will I be buried. The Angel do so to me" Jace continues.

Alec breathes out one last time and is gone. Jace embraces him. Davina lets out a muffled sob. Clary and Magnus cry.

"And more also- if aught but death part thee and me. Please don't leave me, Alec" Jace cries.

"If aught but death part thee and me," Alec says weakly.

Everyone is shocked but happy that Alec is alive. Jace and Alec look at each other and they hug tightly.

 Suddenly, Aldertree and his people barge in and everyone looks shocked

"Jace Wayland! You are hereby sentenced to the City of Bones to await trial for the charge of high treason and aiding Valentine in a war against the Clave" Aldertree says.

"Wait, what- What the hell is going on?"

"It's all right, Alec. All that matters is you're back" Jace says. "Davina, look after him"

Aldertree's people grab Jace and take him away.

Davina moves forward and Aldertree stares at her.

"I wouldn't Miss Branwell unless you want to be thrown in jail alongside him"

"It's Rollins," Davina says.

"Whatever," Aldertree says and Davina glares.