8

A blaring sound of the security alarm fills every inch of the Institute which causes Davina to exit her room, following the direction of the moving Shadowhunters. The redhead catches up with Alec as the whispers fill her head.

"Someone's dead," Davina mumbles and Alec looks at her.

The alarm blares loudly causing Clary and Davina to run into the training room with Alec and Izzy. She finds Welkie dead.

"Oh, my God, Welkie!" Clary says.

Another guy is sitting against the wall, shocked.

"What happened?"

"Classic possession hangover," Davina says before turning to the man. "It's okay, we'll get you to the infirmary"

"Hole punched right through his chest," Lydia says.

"Just like our mundane in the morgue," Isabelle says.

Alec kneels by the victim and closes his eyes.

"The demon's in the Institute," Alec says.

"Today is just getting better," Davina says.

"Activate emergency surveillance. Victor's unreachable. I've ordered the Institute be put on quarantine until we kill this thing" Lydia says and Davina nods.

Everyone gets their weapons to prepare for the inevitable next attack. This demon would not stop as long as there were people alive in the institute.

"But I don't get it. How did the demon get past the wards?" Davina asks, holding her blade.

"Same way it got in without setting off this. It must have some advanced cloaking ability. It hid in that dead body and let us do the rest" Isabelle says.

"I didn't know demons could do that" Davina says.

"Until now, they couldn't. This new form of possession, cloaking ability, targeting the Institute, it's-"

"Valentine. His experiments. My mom told me how he was determined to create a super-being that could defeat the Clave. It's what he tried to do with Jace" Clary says.

"Both victims had damage to the prefrontal cortex. The demon must be feeding on negative emotions. Anger, hate, rage. Causing the host to violently act on those urges" Davina says.

"So we continue to scan for venom and heat signatures. Try and narrow down the host before it strikes again" Alec says.

Lydia pulls up a hologram of the Institute, scanning the areas for any demonic heat signatures to find where the demon is now.

"It's everywhere," Davina murmurs. "Must be a way to throw us off"

"Alec, you check the living quarters. You three take the utility tunnels"

"I'll stay with you," Raj says and Lydia smiles sarcastically.

"Day just keeps getting better"

A liquid drops from a grate above Davina, Clary, and Isabelle. Davina crouches down and inspects the liquid which looked almost like oil.

"Demon ichor," Davina says.

"It must've come through here after the kill upstairs. So Idris, huh? I thought you were a New York City girl, tried-and-true"

"Wow, does the Institute have, like, a Twitter feed?" Clary asks.

They explore the tunnels further. Davina holds up the torch that was in her hand to illuminate the tunnels.

"You live in this place long enough, you know everything," Isabelle says.

"Actually, I'm still trying to figure it all out. Is there a rune for letting you be in two places at once?" Clary asks.

"That'd be so cool"

"I wish," Isabelle says.

"My mom really wants me to go with her. And we went through so much to get her back, but I just- I don't know" Clary says.

"At least you have a mom who wants to be with you. Who thinks you're smart and wonderful-" Isabelle says.

"Yeah, who erased my memories and lied to me about having a brother," Clary says.

"I'm not saying she hasn't done some pretty screwed-up things. But all moms do. So maybe you should be glad you have one who wants to try and make things right" Isabelle says.

"Wait. You think I should go?"

"Of course not. No one in Idris is gonna teach you how to fight in five-inch heels. Come on. We've got a demon to hunt"

"There's been another attack," Davina says.

"So what did he say?" Clary asks as she and Davina head to Davina's room.

"That I'm his weakness," Davina says. "And that-"

Davina stops talking and falls into a trance and walks forward slowly.

"Vee?"

Clary and Davina turn around the corner and see Alec almost unconscious sitting against the wall next to Davina's bedroom door. Davina blinks and comes back.

"Alec. Alec?" Davina asks.

Alec looks at the blood on his hands in shock.

"What did I do?" Alec asks.

Clary and Davina follow the blood trail into the room. There, on the floor, they find Jocelyn with her heart ripped out. Clary gasps and falls as Davina clamps a hand to her mouth.

"Oh my God," Davina whispers.

Davina helps Alec up gently and leads him to the bathroom of her room, trying to stop him looking at Jocelyn's body as Shadowhunters walk in to remove it.

Davina gently wipes the blood from Alec's hands as he shakes. The woman shushes him as she continues cleaning his hands.

"I did that" Alec whispers.

"The demon did that" Davina says, gently placing a comforting hand on Alec's face. "No one will blame you Alec"

 "No one will blame you Alec"