22

Davina wakes up and looks at her surroundings. She was in a basement that contained some fairground rides.

Herself and Clary both had a chain around their ankle and Madzie was stood staring at them.

Davina then pulls at the chains at her ankle, trying to get free. Valentine approaches them and the two girls shuffle closer to each other.

"Well done, Madzie," Valentine says. "Your nana is gonna be so proud of you. But you still have a lot more to do before you can see her, okay? So run along"

Madzie skips away. Valentine stands up.

"Hello again, Clarissa. You must still hate me for what happened to your mother. I don't blame you. Jocelyn's death will always be my greatest regret. Well done Davina, putting one of my best and most loyal soldiers in the hands of the Clave. They've sentenced him to death"

"Anyone who works with you or for you deserves death," Davina says.

"If you have any shred of humanity left, you would stop this" Clary says.

"My humanity is what keeps me going. If the Angels designed the Sword to rid the world of demons, I'm just ensuring it fulfils its true purpose" Valentine says.

Clary is pulling on her chains again as Davina looks around for something she can use. They look up when they hear footsteps approaching.

"Jace!"

"Davina! Where's Valentine?"

"We don't know. All the Circle members just left in a hurry"

"Do you have any idea what's happening?"

"Okay. Don't move" Jace says as Thomas moves closer to Clary

Jace cuts Davina's chains loose with his blade and Thomas does the same with Clary.

"Okay, we have to get out of here before-"

Valentine and Madzie approach them and Jace pushes Davina behind him.

"Going someplace?"

Jace runs towards them but Madzie freezes him with her powers.

"I didn't think so. She's strong for her age, isn't she?" Valentine looks down at Madzie.

"Madzie. Hey, please-" Davina says. "Please let Jace go"

"Now why would she do that, hmm?"

"Because you wanna hurt people. People like Iris" Clary says.

"Don't forget- these are the mean people that got your nana in trouble in the first place. Now, if you wanna see Iris, you have to be a good little girl and do exactly what I say, okay?" Valentine says.

Suddenly, Simon appears with his vamp speed behind Valentine and punches him in the face. Jace is unfrozen again and he stumbles back and Davina catches him.

"Clary, run!" Simon shouts.

Valentine punches back and holds Simon in front of him which causes everyone to freeze.

"Brave and stupid. Sweetheart, save your magic for what's to come. It's time to go"

Madzie creates a Portal.

"I'll see you soon, Clarissa," Valentine says.

"Simon! Simon, no!" Clary says.

Valentine, still holding Simon, backs into the Portal and together with Madzie, it disappears.

"SIMON!" Davina shouts.

Jace, Thomas, Davina, and Clary are stood in the warehouse in slight shock.

"Clary, we can't panic," Thomas says, gently placing a hand on her shoulder.

"He's a psychopath. He's capable of anything. Simon is innocent in all of this. The only reason Valentine took him captive is that we care about him" Davina says.

Luke approaches them.

"Hey. All the prisoners are either dead or gone. No sign of Cleophas"

"Hey, it's gonna be okay," Jace says, wrapping his arms around Davina.

Clary's phone rings. It's a video call from Simon.

"Answer it, Clary"

They all see Simon tied up in a chair with tape over his mouth.

"No"

Valentine appears on the screen.

"Hello, Clarissa. I wish we were chatting under more civilized circumstances, but I'm afraid I've run out of options.

"Let Simon go," Davina says.

"Absolutely. Just as soon as you and Clary come back to the Institute. I need one of you to activate the Sword for me"

"That is never going to happen," Clary says.

"Oh, but I think it will. Because if you don't show up within the hour- Your vampire boyfriend here is gonna die a death I wouldn't wish upon anyone" Valentine says.

Valentine ends the call.

Clary wants to move immediately, Luke holds her back, while Jace tries to call Alec.

"Clary"

"What are we waiting for? Let's go" Clary says.

"That's what Valentine wants. You know that if either of you touches that sword, you can destroy the entire Downworld, including Simon" Luke says.

"No, Valentine needs an energy source. He needs lightning"

"He's got it. Every Institute is powered by an angelic power core" Luke says.

"Alec's not picking up. Let's move" Jace says.

"Valentine's gonna wish he never laid a hand on Simon. I'll make sure of it"

"We'll make sure of it"

"Whoa, whoa! You're not going anywhere near that Institute. We're taking you to Magnus. He can protect you both"

"No, we don't need to be protected. We need to save Simon" Davina says.

"The Downworld knows that either one of you is the key to activating that Sword. They want both of you dead"

"I can save Simon," Jace says.

"Doesn't work that way. If Davina and I aren't the ones who show up, Valentine is gonna kill him" Clary says.

From a distance, they hear a voice.

"Wait-"

Luke, Clary, Thomas, Davina, and Jace run to the cage the voice came from, and Davina gasps.

"Mom?" Davina asks and she nods.

"There's another way to destroy the Sword"

"Tell us how and now," Davina says.