26

Jace takes an update card from another Shadowhunter and Davina reads over his shoulder.

"Thank you," Jace says.

Alec approaches them.

"Looks like Azazel's headed south. We've just recovered four dead mundanes with his signature MO" Alec says.

"Okay. Let's go" Jace says and Davina nods.

Imogen approaches them to stop them from leaving.

"To catch a Greater Demon you summoned to the Institute, defying all protocol and common sense?"

"Don't put this all on Jace and Davina. I had a part in this, too"

"Look, if you wanna bench your best fighter with a Greater Demon on the loose, I'm happy to oblige," Jace says.

"No. First, we vanquish Azazel. Then I'll decide what to do with you"

Imogen walks away.

"Go. We'll catch up"

Jace turns and faces Davina as Alec leaves.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you"

"It's okay," Davina says.

Alec, Jace, Davina, Thomas, and Clary are looking at a holographic map of the city.

"Azazel's attacks go as far south as the Meatpacking District, and then the trail runs cold"

"It's no use just tracking dead bodies. With his ability to dematerialize he could be anywhere"

Davina closes the map. Isabelle and an unfamiliar Shadowhunter come up to them.

"Maybe we can help"

"Izzy!" Davina says, embracing Isabelle who returns the hug. "We've been so worried about you. Where have you been?"

Isabelle and Alec make eye contact.

"Looking for Azazel. This is Sebastian Verlac, from the London Institute. When the demon came after me, Sebastian saved my life"

"Oh, I simply lent a hand"

"Sebastian's an expert on all things Azazel" Isabelle says.

"When I studied abroad at the Paris Institute, I specialized in Greater Demons"

"Thanks for saving my sister. I'm Alec"

Sebastian shakes his hand.

"Hey. Yeah, thank you. I'm Jace"

Jace and Sebastian shake hands.

"The great warrior in the flesh. Your reputation precedes you. As does yours. You must be Clary, Valentine's daughter"

Clary and Sebastian shake hands.

"Yeah. Don't hold it against me"

"And you're-"

"Daughter of the Seelie Queen and Valentine's right hand man?" Davina asks, shaking his hand. "Believe me I'd rather not be"

"Well, we don't choose our parents"

"So tell us about Azazel. How do we take him down?" Jace asks.

"The only way to banish him is to puncture his demonic core. In corporeal form, it's between the T8 and T9 vertebrae. But it's not that simple. The core is about the size of a pea"

"So the entry point's right below his sternum? If I can get close enough, I can kill him"

"You wouldn't have enough velocity, and even if you did, the defeat's only temporary. The nasty buggers always find a way to break out of their realm and come back" Sebastian says

"Thank you for the intel. We'll take it from here" Alec says.

"If I can, I'd like to help" Sebastian says.

"We appreciate that, but you don't have clearance to go on a mission. Not at this Institute" Alec says.

"Alec, you can't be serious"

"Hey, Alec. Look, he clearly knows more than us about Azazel. We could use all the help we can get"

"Now, as far as tracking is concerned, we should really think-" Sebastian is cut off by Alec.

"We have a very capable warlock for that. You do what you want. I'm gonna work with Magnus"

Alec leaves. Izzy goes after him.

A guard lets in Jace, Davina, and Clary. Imogen is sitting at her desk.

"You wanted to see us?"

"Yes. I told you I would decide what was next for you once Azazel vanquished so here we are"

"You can do whatever you want with me, but leave Davina and Clary out of this"

"Well, that's not possible. The Clave wants to have you all tested, to get a greater understanding of your unique angel blood abilities"

"No. We'll pass on being lab rats"

"No, Jace. I wanna do this. I haven't been able to use my runes since we summoned Azazel. I... I wanna understand why"

"I also want to understand why I hear what I hear," Davina says. "Magnus mentioned once that I could weaponize my scream"

"Thank you, Miss Branwell, Miss-. I'm sorry what do you like to be called?"

"Rollins"

"Thank you, Miss Rollins. Your willingness to put your own comfort aside for the greater good is to be commended. You would do well to follow their example"

"I'm not a follower"

"I'll do the testing on my own. When do we start?"

"Clary, 'Vina, you don't know the Clave like I do. First, they'll just want you doing circus tricks. The next thing you know, you'll be monitored 24/7"

"I'll do whatever it takes. Jace, it's okay if you don't wanna do this. But drawing those runes for the first time, I felt like there was a reason I became a Shadowhunter. I need to get them back"

Jace turns back to Imogen and smiles sarcastically.

"I guess it's your lucky day"

Imogen writes something down.

"Perfect"