23

The group has brought Dot to Magnus. She is laying on the couch, Magnus had just given her some medicine.

"There you go. You'll start feeling better in no time" Magnus says.

"Thank you"

"Dot, tell us everything you know," Clary says.

"I heard Valentine briefing his men. If Jace touches the Sword, his grip would destroy it" Dot says.

"Me?" Jace asks.

"Why should we believe a word she says? It's probably just another trap" Luke says.

"Luke, Clary, you know me. 'Vina, I'm your mother"

"You've lied to me before," Davina says.

"Because of the injections. But now that he has the warlock girl, he's cast me aside. I'm myself again"

"Good story, but I've heard better," Luke says.

"Wait. In the vision from Ithuriel, the demon that destroyed the Sword had a clawed hand" Jace says.

"Exactly. It has nothing to do with you"

"Perhaps I can lend some insight. Show me this vision"

Magnus holds one hand against Clary's head, the other one against Jace's. They all close their eyes. Magnus starts speaking Latin.

"The star in the sky," Magnus says.

"Yeah, I remember"

"Angels are higher beings. They communicate through metaphors. Morgenstern means "Morning Star", as in, "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning". The vision seems to be speaking of a demonic Morgenstern"

Magnus looks at Jace.

"Me. That's why Valentine wanted me under his control. I can derail his plan. I can destroy the Soul-Sword"

"And destroy yourself in the process," Magnus says.

"No. That's a suicide mission. No way" Davina says.

"Oh, says the girl who was willing to die for the Downworld, what, yesterday?" Jace asks and Davina crosses her arms.

"She's right, Jace. It's too dangerous" Luke says.

"Look, I'm not gonna touch the Sword. I'll just get to it before it's activated and bring the Mortal Instrument back to the Clave, where it belongs. Trust me" Jace says.

Magnus is overlooking New York from the balcony when Clary and Davina walk out onto the balcony too.

"I'm not used to feeling so powerless," Magnus says.

Magnus sighs. Clary's phone rings. It's another video call from Simon. They see Simon and Valentine.

"Oh, my God! Simon, are you okay?" Clary asks as Davina leans over her shoulder.