4

Clary wakes up locked in a cage with Davina who was leaning against the bars, tapping her fingers against the pieces of metal rhythmically. She's surrounded by other clamouring prisoners in other cages. Dot approaches her cage and Davina turns away to face Thomas who was stood next to the cage.

"What did you do to me?"

"I'm so sorry, Clary"

"Up there with Jace, that, that wasn't me talking. I can't see the future, can I?"

"No. Valentine made me cast a spell on you so that you'd do as I'd say"

"You used me"

"And I have to do it again. It wears off quickly on Shadowhunters"

Dot grabs Clary's face again through the bars. Davina's eyes glow defensively and a shock courses through Dot's body as Davina pulls Clary away from her mom.

"If I don't do this, he'll get angry, and we don't want that"

"Dot, remember- remember when I got grounded when my mom realized that I went to see Simon's band? You brought me gelato from Little Italy to cheer me up. I will never forget that. Then me, you, and Vee watched both of the Princess Diaries movies"

"It wasn't from Little Italy. It was from Rome,"

"See? You were like a big sister to me. Dot, you have always had my back, no matter what. And you always cared for Vee. She's your daughter"

"Why did you stop looking for me?"

"Magnus couldn't feel your magic anymore. We thought Valentine had killed you" Davina says from her position on the other side of the cage.

"No. He just experimented on me," Dot says.

"Mom, please, help us. We may not be able to go back to the way things were, but it doesn't have to be like this" Davina pleads, walking forward.

"You don't understand. He will find us"

"We will stay with Magnus, hide behind his wards. Please, Mom"

Dot stares at Davina who stares back. Dot sighs, waving her hand and the cage opens. Thomas walks in front of the trio as they walk across the deck of the ship.

"We don't hurt anyone. We're not like that" The werewolf says.

Clary and Davina cautiously walk towards them, listening to the conversation.

"A wolf will say anything to go free, but she can never change what she is. You let her live, son, and she will kill again and again and again"

"Jace!"

"Clarissa, how nice of you to join us. Perhaps you can convince your brother to finish what he started,"

"Jace, I need you to listen to me. Everything I said before, I was under a spell. Run!"

Jace grabs Davina's hand and breaks into a run across the deck, trying not to slip on the water that was splattered across the floor. Thomas is quick to follow them, gripping onto Clary tightly as they try to put distance between themselves and Valentine.

"Jonathan!" Valentine shouts.

Circle members spill out on the deck, armed with a range of weapons as Jace and Thomas arm themselves. Davina's eyes glow green as she turns to face the oncoming hoards of men, opening her mouth. A wail pierces through the air, causing the circle members to drop to their knees as blood begins to pour from their ears.

"Davina, now!" Dot shouts.

Davina climbs up onto the railing as Jace stares at Valentine. Davina grabs his arm, jolting him from his stupor. Jace links his hand with Davina's before they leap from the railing, heading straight for the water. Upon impact with the water, Jace and Davina are separated. Their hands reach out trying to find the other but to no avail.

Davina kicks her legs, surfacing at the same time as Clary does. Both of them are coughing and spluttering, wheezing for breath as they begin to swim towards the shore.

Davina grabs Clary's hand once they emerge from the water, glamouring them both as they climb into the cab of an unsuspecting driver. Davina leans forward whispering their destination in the driver's ear before sitting back in the seat.

Davina pushes her hand forward, her magic throwing open the doors of the institute. All eyes turn to the two watersoaked females who were covered in bruises and cuts.

"Hey! Hey, no. No. You can't go in there-"

"Where's Izzy?"

"I'm getting Aldertree," Raj says.

Raj and Jocelyn follow the determined Clary and Davina.

"What happened to you both? Where have you both been?" Jocelyn asks.

"We're all curious. Bring two changes of clothes and two hot cups of tea to my office. Clary, Davina, and I are gonna have a little chat"

"I just- Please, let me see Isabelle," Clary says.

"She's with Alec, Clary. He was trying to help me find you and something went wrong. He's in a bad way"

"Do you just destroy everything you touch?" Davina asks Jocelyn. "I'm done with you ruining my life and hurting everyone you touch, from now on, you stay far away from me Jocelyn Fairchild"

Davina turns and walks away towards Aldertree as Jocelyn gapes. Aldertree hands Davina a cup of tea and she forces a smile at him.

"It appears you've both had quite the harrowing experience. Jocelyn tells me you were abducted by Dorothea Rollins, a warlock under Valentine's control. And you, Davina, abducted by Valentine himself"

"Uh, that's right," Clary says and Davina nods.

"Did she Portal you to a tanker ship in the East River?" Aldertree asks.

"I'm not sure"

"Three hours ago, a large tanker ship was found there, recently abandoned. By the mottos and the insignias on the boat, it's clear the Circle was on board. If either of you has any information about Valentine, about Jace, you need to tell me"

Clary shakes her head and shrugs.

"The last thing I remember is Dot grabbing me off the street. Then I... I woke up in the water. I was nearly run over by the Staten Island Ferry, and then I swam to shore and came here" Clary says

"If you're trying to protect your brother, lying to me is only gonna make it worse. I can guarantee Jace's safety if you help me bring him in. And that's on record"

Clary is silent for a bit as Davina side-eyes her.

"I would if I could, but I can't tell you what I don't know. Dot must have wiped my memory"

"Where's Thomas?" Davina asks.

"Thomas Lightwood knew the risk," Aldertree says.

"Thomas Lightwood saved my life," Davina says, standing up. "I'll be damned if Valentine kills him"

 "I'll be damned if Valentine kills him"