Chapter 2: Dating Lessons?

Well, here goes the second chapter! Thanks again EmilyTheReader for giving me the courage to continue this!

**************************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 2: Dating Lessons?

Even though my backpack was crammed with a bunch of other crap, that stupid journal seemed to be weighing the whole thing down so it was almost impossible to carry. What was I thinking? Going on dates, believing I would have a good time? Pssht, like that would ever happen!

I kept my head down as I walked against the pelting raindrops and made it to my front door. When I turned the handle and entered, my eleven year old sister Lexi ran up and dropped right in front of me. She was always one for the dramatics, but I couldn’t help but notice she was wearing a silky orange dress. Not her typical getup. She grabbed onto my ankle and choked on the words, “Save yourself.”

“Oh, good Piper, you’re home!” my mother called as she came down the stairs, holding onto my dress for my aunt’s wedding.

“Noooo!” I shouted at the top my lungs.

I wasn’t fast enough. My mom was down the stairs and grabbing onto my wrist before I could make a break for it. Damn Lexi for slowing me down.

“Sweetie, the wedding is next week. You need to make sure it fits,” she struggled to keep me from running off. She dragged me up to my room, ignoring my desperate attempts to gnaw my arm off.

“Piper, enough. Just change into the dress and then you’ll be free to chew your arm off on your own time,” my mother said sternly as she shoved the plastic-covered dress at me.

I stuck my tongue out as I shut the door. After I took off my backpack, I began changing as quickly as I could. I didn’t know why, but I absolutely hated dressing up all nice and fancy like. It just…irritated me. Okay, I’ll admit that I’m the kind of person that gets annoyed by everything, but still! Wouldn’t you feel the slightest bit aggravated if you spent tons of money on something you would only wear once in your life because God forbid you should be seen in it twice? The horror! Not to mention once you do get all prettied up, you can’t do anything because of the risk of getting your highly expensive outfit dirty. Knowing me and my eating habits, it wouldn’t be long before a chocolate covered strawberry landed in my lap.

The dress was a maroon junior bridesmaid’s. I tried to tell them I was old enough to be a regular bridesmaid, but nooo you have to be eighteen or over to be classified as a bridesmaid. Meh, adults and their ways.

“Okay Mom, the most unflattering dress in the world fits,” I called through the door. “Can I take it off?”

She rushed through the door without any warning. “Ooh you look so beautiful. Aunt Alice will be so happy.” Her eyes then narrowed, sending me into a sudden death zone, “But if you mess this up, so help me because I’m not sure what I’ll do.” Her scary expression melted into a smiling one, “So, how was school today?”

That was the one thing that scared me about my mother. One moment content, then ready to bite my head off, and then happy again. She was so much like Naomi; it was almost like Naomi was her daughter instead of me.

If these were the people I had in my life, you can see why I wouldn’t want to meet more of them.

“Piper?” my mother asked.

I shook my head. “Uh, sorry. School was good, the usual I guess.” Except for the part where my best friends decided to set me up on twelve different dates for my own wellbeing.