Chapter 6: The Second Date + Window Fails

Woo, already onto Chapter 6. I would like to dedicate this to EternalZephyr! Please check out her amazing story Skittles and Science, it's great! Okay, now for Chapter 6!

***************************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 6: The Second Date + Window Fails

The humiliation that came with each passing day was horrendous. I had told my parents about what happened a few days ago, knocking out Missy and all that jazz. My dad thought it was great that I was “finally growing a backbone” as he put it. My mother, on the other hand, was extremely upset I had resorted to violence, even though I had explained it was an accident. She still didn’t accept it, but was happy that I was being forced to help out at Sherman’s Homeless Shelter.

Yes, a mother happy about her daughter’s punishment.

But that wasn’t the worst part of the week. Not only did I have detention in a few minutes, but word had gotten out that I had dated my cousin Blake. Thanks a lot to the certain loudmouths who had been shouting at the top of their lungs about the subject.

I’m seriously revising my friendship with those two.

“Come on Piper, please say something,” Naomi pleaded as she patted my shoulder.

School had just ended and we gathered at one of the lunch tables that were left out for the kids who had to stay and wait for their afterschool practices to start. I had my face down into my arms. I had nothing to say to Naomi. That girl was the enemy.

“Piper, she’s sorry. She’s sorry for even setting you up on that date,” Daniel said. “But like I said before, it’s all Naomi’s fault.”

Thanks Daniel,” Nay hissed.

There was a pause. “Okay, I guess some of it was my fault too. I apologize as well. We just didn’t want to see you lonely anymore.”

I glanced up. “Oh yes, because now everybody is just dying to go out with the girl who went on a date with her cousin,” I snapped. “This is why I didn’t want to do this!”

Naomi patted my shoulder some more. “I understand Piper and we’re so sorry this happened. But look on the bright side; at least you’ll have some crazy story to laugh about in the future.” She tried to say as positively as she could.

“Yeah, when I’m senile and think everything is funny.” I took in a deep breath and lifted my head. “Erg, I need to get past this.”

Danny gave me a slap on the back. “That’s the spirit, Pipe! Only eleven more blind dates and you’re off the hook!”

I let out a groan and slumped back into my previous position. Why couldn’t I just go home and sulk along with a bag of Pixy Stix? Why did I have to get detention at the beginning of the month?

I felt something lift me under the arms. I jerked my head around and saw Nay trying to pick me up from the table. “Piper, you don’t need to be late to detention, you’re in enough trouble as it is.”

“I don’t want to go,” I grumbled.

Danny shook his head in a disappointed manner. “Don’t be that way. Detention can’t be that bad: think of it like a study hall. You like study halls.”

I still didn’t want to go, but at least that guy from last time won’t be there.

Situational irony was the first thing that entered my mind when I saw that same annoying boy from Tuesday sitting there, drumming his desk with a pair of pencils. Mr. Hart, the teacher who always watched the detention group, was running late once again. He needed to get that problem fixed if he didn’t want kids skipping. Or maybe he knew there was only the two of us and thought, Eh, I’ll come in a little later. They probably won’t kill each other.