Chapter 4: The Wedding

Happy New Year everybody! Hope everyone has a wonderful 2013!

***************************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 4: The Wedding

Naomi eagerly read each word of the journal the next day after 4th period. A huge smile appeared on her face once she finished.

“I’ve done it. I actually got Piper to enjoy her date!” she exclaimed. She turned around and poked her boyfriend in the chest. “And you doubted my awesome matchmaking skills. For shame Danny, for shame.”

I opened my locker and began pulling out my books. “Like I said Nay, I did have a good time, but it was…I don’t know…a little off in some way. Besides, you may have matchmaking skills, but once this whole bet is over, I’m going right back to my room and books.”

She shrugged. “There’s still eleven more dates, Piper. Just you wait.”

Daniel gave me a weird glance. “Uh, Pipe? Why are you taking out your books anyway? We have lunch…”

I gave a glance at my backpack. “Oh, it’s because I have to leave early. My parents are picking me up so we can make it to my aunt’s wedding on time.”

“Lucky you,” he muttered.

I scoffed. “Ha, if you knew my family, then you wouldn’t be thinking so. I haven’t even seen my aunt in years; don’t know why my mom is suddenly getting back in touch with her. The last time I saw my Aunt Alice and her family was probably when I was two. And there are all the other relatives that are going to be there…I don’t even want to think about it.”

He put a hand on my shoulder. “Then we wish you all the luck in the world.”

Once I got all my stuff gathered, the two said goodbye and then they walked to the lunchroom hand in hand. They were the real lucky ones. They didn’t have to bother with my family.

***

My aunt’s wedding venue was the usual church kind, but it still managed to be beautiful in its own way. It was big and spacious with autumn decorations put in all the places they needed to be to make it look just right and not like it came from Party City. My aunt had gone berserk on this second wedding of hers (a fatal flaw of a major stressed perfectionist) and it looks like it paid off.

“This place is stunning,” my mother breathed. “Looks my sister did well this time.”

Well yeah, I’m pretty sure any place would beat getting drunk down in Las Vegas with some dude and having some Elvis impersonator be their justice of the peace.

My mom led us back to get changed and prettied up. I couldn’t wait for this thing to be over with. I didn’t want to walk down the aisle, stand there for eternity, waiting just for my aunt and her to-be husband to kiss, and then having to wait another few hours at the reception, listen to my relatives talking about their jobs, divorces, children, and what the next event would be: funeral or wedding, all while trying to keep my dress clean.

And I still hadn’t had lunch.

Soon enough, I was in line holding a bouquet of flowers, waiting for the guys to come and pair up with us. I hope that I didn’t trip on the dress, causing the both of us to fall. That would be embarrassing.

The guys finally came, all nice and fancy in their tuxes, and got in line. The music may have started playing, but I was too busy staring at the guy across from me.