Chapter 9: Babysitting Adventures

This chapter may not have a date in it, but it was one of my favorites to write. I had a lot of fun with this chapter and I hope you all like it!

***************************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 9: Babysitting Adventures

RING! RING! RING!

That was the sound of my overly loud ringtone for calls. Why on earth I had set it so loud, I don’t know so don’t ask.

When I turned over on my side, I felt the world spin. Well, you know, more than it does when you roll over in bed. I reached over and blindly tried to reach for my cell phone. There was a reason I never won Pin the Tail on the Donkey. I'm a horrible blind person.

I finally sat up, but before I grabbed my phone, I put a hand to my head. It felt like a meteoroid had thought my forehead was the perfect place for a crash-landing. I waited a few seconds for the wave of dizziness to wear off.

My phone rang again and I flipped up the top.

“‘Ello?” I asked. I noticed that I was breathing through my mouth rather than my nose.

“Piper! We’ve been trying to get a hold of you for a while now! Where’ve you been?” Nay’s voice screeched through the other line.

My head pounded some more. “In bed, asleep.”

“Well get out of bed and get down here to Java Jolt. Danny, you, and I haven’t had our usual Sunday outings together.” Even though I couldn’t see, I knew she was pouting. “We’ll even invite Gwen to come.”

I tried to unclog the back of my throat without sounding as gross as possible. “Nay, I’m sick. I can’t go.”

“Just chug some NyQuil and you’ll be fine,” I heard Daniel say.

“No,” I huffed, although it came out like I was saying, “Doe!”

“Piper!”

This time, my name didn’t come from my annoying friends. Instead, it came from Lexi who thought it was necessary to jump on my bed while yelling my name at the top of her lungs repeatedly.

Naomi started talking again. “I can hear that you’re busy, so I’ll let you go. Just don’t be too late, okay?”

She didn’t give me a chance to reply.

“Piper! Piper! Piper!” Lexi continued to scream in my ears.

I shut my phone and looked up at her. “What, Lexi? What could you possibly want?”

She stopped jumping and crossed her arms. “Don’t tell me you forgot.”

I rubbed my eyes. “Forgot what?”

She plopped down on my mattress and narrowed her eyes. “That you’re supposed to take me and my friends out for the day. Remember?” Lexi knocked on my head.

I slapped her hand away. “I never promised that.”

“Yes you did. I asked you last week if you could and you said yes!”

“What was I doing when you asked me?”

She titled her head a bit. “Watching Spongebob or something, I don’t know…”

“Lexi! You never ask me things when I’m watching Spongebob! Never. My brain is shut off to all that is not talking cartoon sea creatures, aside from Sandy that is.”