35 | Siblings

SIBLINGS

"That's it, that's him." I told Alex pointing at the man who was walking across the garden to the bench where Eleanor was sitting reading a magazine.

"Do you want us to go back inside?" Alex asked me moving uncomfortably.

"No, no. I rather watch from afar."

And so we stood there, sitting in a bench very far from Eleanor to watch her conversation with Harry. He hadn't replied to my messages since the day of the funeral and I couldn't blame him. I had behaved like the biggest idiot and he didn't deserve that. Eleanor had encouraged me not to give up and keep trying to reach him but results were no different. Even her brother, Alex, who had spent the last days visiting us at the hospital, had offered his help to contact Harry.

And as a miracle, after almost an entire week of attempts, Harry had answered Eleanor's message. She'd told him she needed some help, without giving him the details of course, and he had agreed to visit her.

"He's nodding. That must be good, right?" I asked Alex impatiently.

"I wish I could assure you that but I'm afraid we won't know for sure until El tells us."

"Shit. You're right." I looked at the sky with my eyes closed. "How pathetic I am? Be honest."

"Pathetic? Louis you told me he's your best friend, almost like your brother. Why would it be pathetic to care about your friendship?"

"I don't mean that."

"Then what?"

"I refer to the fact that we are almost hiding here like spies trying to get El's and Harry's body language."

"Oh," he pressed his lips not to laugh, "Well, it's not pathetic. Maybe just a bit childish." He admitted and we both laughed as I turned my head to look at my girlfriend's attempt to convince my best friend to talk to me again.

-

"Got it? Louis?" a distant voice asked me. "LOUIS!" Mark's shout brought me back to reality from my depressing thoughts.

"I'm sorry, Mark." I shook my head trying to concentrate on my exercises.

"Did you even listen to what I just said?"

"Hum – no."

Mark opened his eyes and stared at me for a moment before leaving his desk and walking to my side. "Well, you better listen now. I said that if in two weeks you get to used the crutches alright and get to walk on your own, then you'll be able to leave the hospital."

"WHAT THE FU-" my legs betrayed me and I fell but fortunately ended up sitting in the chair again.

"LOUIS!" Mark rushed to my side to check I was fine. "Are you okay, man?"

"Yeah," I said trying to control my agitation. "Did I listen right? You said I could-"

"Leave, yes." his smile got bigger as he squeezed my shoulder. "Your evolution has surprised me and the other doctors."

"Can I have more sessions? Maybe you can give me some extra exercises to do in my room. Oh, Eleanor could help me and-"

"Breath."

"- Nancy could also-"

"Breath."

"... get me the crutches while-"

"TOMLINSON!" Mark's voice rose in a second and I shut up immediately. "Louis, relax please."

So I did as told and took a deep breath but my anxiety was clearly out of my control. After so long I was setting a date to leave the hospital and it would be only days after Eleanor. My life was finally accommodating and I couldn't wait to go back home.