5 | Monsters

CHAPTER V

"Monsters"

Eleanor. That was the girl's name. Not that she told me personally. I got to know about it because I heard the nurse saying it.

Since my last attempt to talk to her, a simply "hi", I stopped trying be nice to her. She happens to be really intimidating and her mood is not the best to be honest.

I spent such a long time waiting for her to wake up and when she finally did, it made me wish she was asleep again. She never even looked at me. When the nurse, Nancy, brought our breakfasts I was helped to sit straight and to watch a bit of TV.

"Eleanor, here is your breakfast sweetie." Nancy told her. My chest rose when I found out the mysterious girl's name.

Before she could answer her, I tried to do my part. "Is there anything you want to watch?" I asked Eleanor pointing at the TV with my good arm.

And then I remembered why I should not have done that. Eleanor dedicated me a quick glance and slowly turned away. Her back was turned to me. So friendly.

Nancy herself looked at me a bit surprised for her reaction. I turned on the TV and chose a random channel. A comedy film was on and it seemed to be good, though I had lost the spirit to laugh. Not only I had to spend three months in that damn hospital room, but now I had to tolerate the company of a terrible patient next to me. It was going to be a long time between those four walls.

A few hours later, the hardest part of my new and boring routine came. I had to go to the bathroom. How you must wander... carried by two mail doctors. Was I embarrassed? Of course. Specially because when I was being helped to reach the bathroom, Eleanor sat down on her bed and this time, she watched at me the entire time. I blushed and got mad.

When I was left in my bed again, Eleanor was looking through the window. I was so embarrassed that I fixed my gaze on my broken arm.

After lunch, which only I had because Eleanor skipped it, I recovered my normal mood. We were both sitting in our beds in silence. It was worse than being in the hospital's waiting room. There was no tension between us, just... lack of interest. Lack of company, which is why I was so disappointed I guess.

And, as it could not be otherwise, I gave her a second, third, maybe fourth chance. I had lost the count by then.

"Hey," I said clearing my throat, "hum, how, how are you?"

The moment the words escaped my mouth I realized about what I'd done. For the first time in my life I felt myself a huge idiot. I had just asked her how she was when she could barely move and her health was super fragile.

Eleanor looked at my eyes but there was no anger in her face. There was no sympathy either obviously. She moved her wrists, trying to make me see the machines connected to her.

"Really?" she asked me. Okay, I had just ruined it.

"I'm sorry... I..." I found no words to apologize for my silly question.

"You know, I prefer we don't talk."

"I'm just trying to be nice... we are here alone and having someone to talk to should help us to..."

"Help us?!" she cut me off. "I don't need a stranger's help. There is no useful help for me."

And again, awkward silence. She was like... a sick monster!

In the evening, when the sun was setting, my parents arrived. I remembered their promise of a surprise for me but for some strange reason it bothered me.

"Okay, close your eyes Lou," my mom told me.

Unwillingness, I did as I was told. The only thing I wanted was to be alone. But seconds later, my mom asked me to open my eyes.

"Surprise!" Two high voices filled the room from the end of my bed. My twin sisters were standing there with balloons and presents. A tiny smile was growing in my face until I saw it. In one of the bags, there was a teddy bear with a football shirt. My hands became fists. I would have loved to kick my bed but obviously the lack of sensitiveness in my legs frustrated me.

"Get out!" I screamed to the air moving as crazy, almost shacking the upper half of my body.

"Louis?" My father touched my shoulder.

"Don't! Get out!"I looked at my sisters and they were really scared. Their eyes let me know they were not okay because of me. In other situation I would have calmed down, but that day, that moment, I was not myself. "Go away!"

A second later, my entire family left the room. I was hyperventilating and all sweated. But even in my own mess, I could feel a pair of eyes on me. I met Eleanor's eyes. She had a sassy look.

"You are a monster," she said clear and loud, showing how superior she was now.

Maybe I was a monster too. A wrecked one. 

*************************************

So, what do you think about this?! 15 comments for the next chapter, NO EXCUSES ;) 

Love you all 

Agustina xx