9 | Line

"Football again? There are other sports, you know?" I turned my head to see Eleanor waking up from her nap.

"I'm sorry. I really wanted to watch this game. Was the volume too loud?"

"No, it's okay. Actually, you scream louder than the TV," she said laughing.

I think I had never seen her laugh before. I knew it was because of her personality, but also because of her health. Even laughing cost her huge effort. She stopped smiling and try to recover her posture. I felt guilty.

I couldn't even make her laugh that I was hurting her...

"Change that face, Lou. It's okay."

"Do you need water or anything else?"

"Yeah, sure. Run and bring me something," she winked at me.

"Ha ha. So funny." I winked her back.

For anyone else those comments would hurt but for us they were funny. Our relationship, if I can call it like that, was a very bizarre one.

We were all the time making fun of each other, especially of our sickness and conditions. We had reached that curious point in which nothing else could hurt you.

"The nurses came again while you were sleeping." I told her.

"I knew they would do that. It's like in their routines."

"It's their job, Eleanor." I lowered the TV volume. "You cannot ask them to stay away from you."

"But-"

"It's like asking my parents not to come and see me. My mother would enter through the window just to see me."

"Lucky you," she said in a whisper lowering her gaze.

And for the first time I realized that she had never mentioned her family, or friends, or anybody. And, even worse, she never received a single visit during her time in the hospital. I felt the most idiot man on Earth. I'd been complaining all this time about my annoying parents that I never saw Eleanor's situation.

"El, can I-"

"Don't!" she shouted at me. Her eyes were full of tears. In a second her mood had changed completely.

"I'm sorry. I won't-"

"Louis, stop it!" She sat straight on her bed. As careful as possible, she took all the cables from the machines connected to her away.

"El, you shouldn't do that. You don't know how those things work."

"I know these machines better than anyone, you idiot! I've been connected to them for years and years."

"Hey! I'm just trying to take care of you!" Now I was shouting to her even though deep inside me I didn't want to.

"I don't need anyone. You fix yourself first to help others!"

And that was it.

"You crossed the line, Eleanor."

"At least I can move and cross the line. Watch me."

And she left the room, making her steps sound louder than our shouts, the TV, or the pain I felt in my heart. A pain that the other half of my body could not even perceive. That was the most painful line

**************************************

30 comments for the next update. Love you! 

Agustina