28 | I. JUST. CAN'T. DO. IT

I. JUST. CAN'T. DO. IT

A month later

"Wake up, love," a soft murmur in my ear woke me up on Monday morning, "or you'll be late."

I groaned as I tried to open my eyes, blinking many times before I could see my girlfriend's face smiling at me.

"Morning," I managed to say, running a hand through my hair.

"Good morning, Lou." She told me taking my hand. "Nancy brought your breakfast and I got your wheelchair."

"Why are you so excited, El?"

My appointments with Dr. Smith, or Mark by now, had become a common thing for me so her sudden enthusiasm was a bit weird.

"Did you forget what day is today?"

"Monday?"

"Yeah," she told me rolling her eyes, "and...?"

"El, I'm still asleep, honey. I need some help," I laughed.

"THE NEW STAGE OF YOUR TREATMENT STARTS TODAY!" She yelled and I opened my eyes widely.

The past days I had been so busy thinking about Eleanor possibly leaving the hospital, and therefore me, that I had completely forgotten about myself. Mark had told me we would start with new exercises, but there were not just any type of exercises.

I had recovered total sensitivity in my legs but they were still super weak, so I was unable to walk or even move them much. However, he assured me over and over again that I was ready to move on, trying to get on my feet.

"SHIT!" I yelled as well. "Eleanor, please come with me!" I asked her, already freaking out.

"What? Seriously?" she asked me frowning.

"Of course, honey. If things go wrong, I want you there with me."

"Why do you think things will go wrong?"

"I rather not have any hopes," I admitted looking down at my lap. But that was until a warm hand grabbed my chin and lifted my face.

"Tomlinson," she called me looking at my eyes, "we need to talk."

Her stare was soft but the tone of her voice was quite serious. There was something else coming for sure.

"I listen." I told her pressing my lips and intertwining my hands with hers.

She inhaled and parted her lips but a few seconds went by before she spoke.

"Lou, there are two things I want to tell you. Two things I need to tell you. First, today is a special day for you. You've been waiting for this moment for so long babe, so do yourself a favour and be positive about it. If things go well, we'll celebrate!" she giggled, "and if things get a little tough, then your family and I will be here to support you, no matter how long it takes, okay?" her other hand caressed my cheek.

"Right," I nodded. Eleanor always was the most mature of the two, and today was no exception. "Thanks, love," I whispered as I leaned forward to peck her lips softly. "And what about the second thing?"

"Well-" she hesitated. "Today is a special day, but not for you only." Her eyes slowly wandered around the room. "I'm getting my analysis results today." Her voice was so low that I could barely hear her, but I did.