18 | Worth the Pain

WORTH THE PAIN

"Can you arrange my hair?"

"Really, Lou?" my mother told me hiding a smile but still trying to fix the mess in my head.

"Am I that obvious?" I blushed.

"Well..." she giggled but stood in front of my bed so I can see her better. "You are my son and I know you more than any other person. But, yes. You are extremely evident, Lou!" she laughed louder and I joined her.

I had spent the entire day wishing time went by faster. Dr. Frederickson had told me they were bringing Eleanor back to our room at 9 pm, just after the visit time was over. So, without being mean, I swear, I was only waiting for my mother to leave so I could welcome Eleanor.

"Ok, before I leave, do you need anything else?"

"I guess I'm fine. Oh, wait! Could you bring me my headphones next time you visit?"

"Your headphones?"

"Yeah. I feel like listening to some music."

"WOW! That girl is really making you good! Maybe I should stay so I can meet her."

"NO!"

I freaked out. The idea of my mother meeting Eleanor seemed to be too much and too soon. Besides, since I had first told my mother about her, she had already dreamed about us getting married or something. Eleanor would panic for sure. But, who wouldn't?

"Ok, fine." My mother sighed in disappointment. "I'll wait."

She smiled to me and came to my side. Carefully, she accommodated my pillows, gave me a strong hug and said goodbye. I was finally alone now and getting anxious. I took my phone to check the time. It was 9:07 pm.

My eyes were fixed on the door waiting for it to open. I waited, waited and waited some more. My anxiety turned into fear. What if the doctors had decided not to bring Eleanor back again? I shook my head trying to push those thoughts aside so I could focus on positive things.

The first thing to cross my mind was that I had kissed Eleanor. I was sure that the topic would come up at some point.

"Hi, Lou! Look who is back!" Nancy told me entering the room holding a tray with my dinner.

"Hi," Eleanor walked in right after Nancy.

"Hi!" I shouted. I was evident, Gosh! "How are-"

I could not finish the question. Eleanor was walking very slowly towards her bed but she was holding Dr. Frederickson's arm. I could tell she was definitely struggling to move.

I looked at Nancy who was now placing the tray on a small table at my feet. She looked me back and denied, which I took as a warning sign. Eleanor was not fine.

But why? And how? A few days before I had visited her in her room and she had told me she was better. She looked better indeed. How was it possible that now she looked so bad again?

Nancy left the tray and left. Dr. Frederickson gave El some indications, asked me how I was and also left.

We were alone now, just like it used to be.