39 | Not Any Surprise

Before you start with this chapter, please read this:

1. First of all, I want to apologize for my long absence and lack of updates. Work has consumed me but I'm back! Thanks for all your patience :) 

2. As you know, this story is close to an end, in fact, next chapter will be THE LAST ONE! I'm still in love with this story as the day one and I really hope you like the ending and, who knows... there may be a sequel but that's up to you! 

NOT ANY SURPRISE

"Ok, do you remember the plan?" I asked Zayn for the tenth time in five minutes.

"For the love of God, YES, I DO!" he cried with a smile while driving.

"Well, not to make you feel responsible but you are responsible for it to succeed."

"Lou, we're just surprising your family and friends not robbing a bank, relax, man." He chuckled and turned to me when we stopped at a red light.

"I won't relax until I see all of them happy and proud of me." I whispered more to myself.

Zayn didn't answer right away. Instead, he stared at me with a confused look and spoke after a minute of hesitation. "What are you talking about?"

"I finally got to walk on my own, to abandon the hospital... that's what they all expected from me, isn't it?"

He sighed and accelerated again when the light turned green. "Louis, no offense but... are you stupid or what?"

"Oh, that's not offensive at all, mate" I rolled my eyes but tried to explain what was in my mind to him. "Zayn, I-"

"No, listen to me now. Of course we've all been waiting for you to walk again but that never was the most important thing. And, to be honest, I'm surprised you didn't know it."

"I don't get it." I admitted with a frown.

"Lou, all we wanted even more than your recovery was you to be happy. We noticed how your life changed for the worse with the accident and we were really concerned about your mental health as well, not just – well, your legs."

I was quiet for a moment while I went over again and again Zayn's words. And before I could speak again, he did so.

"Tonight we'll be special, but not only because you're walking again... but because you're healthy and happy." He patted my shoulder as he used to do in the football field whenever we had one of our deep conversations to cheer each other up.

"I am happy," I smiled at him and nodded. "I am."

We both smiled at each other but my need to check was stronger... "But you remember the plan, right?"

"OH, FUCK YOU!" He burst out laughing and I did the same. "It's easy. I called all your relatives and friends yesterday to tell them we'd meet tonight to plan a surprise party for you."

"Exactly. So when they're all there, I'll show up." I said eagerly picturing the moment in my mind. "I'll show up walking." I breathed deeply with a grin all over my face.

-

"Here we are," Zayn told me as he parked the car in the corner of my block so nobody would see me. "Are you sure you want to wait here?"

"Yes. You go inside and text me when they're all there."

"Got it. Damn, Louis I'm so nervous now."